just tired & maybe a little cranky

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

just tired & maybe a little cranky

Postby Janet » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:45 pm

I've had back pain a long time with lots of ortho treatment, therapy making pain worse & causing weakness, steroids are relief but can't take them for long, epi injections not helpful. I have 2 bulging discs, but pain changes & moves around & is not all bone/nerve pain, I've had it long enough to know the pain caused by back problem. The pain now is more muscle pain, hips, down & across front of thighs, into knees & sometimes down leg into ankle, legs are becoming very weak & having trouble with 4 stairs to laundry or yard, walking dog etc. I'm 67 yrs. normally active but not athletic, I'm diabetic (1 year) & have lost 45 lbs. in a year so weigh about 150+ -, ladies will understand sizes, from 18+ down to 12, so not really too heavy at 5'4". I take drugs for blood pressure,thyroid & acid reflux, Metformin for diabetes & simvastatin, also Celebrex & Tylenol PM. Can only sleep on my back, can't lay on either hip(sides), NOW this week my whole spine makes odd sounds when I move/walk, I can hear it & feel a kind of instability. I know, :roll: SEE A DR. WOMAN, I don't even know what kind. The 4 orthos who treated me for 2 yrs. all had an attitude that I was just difficult, they were all in one big center & passed me from one to another the last being a surgeon who told me I was'nt a candidate for surgery, I never thought I was, I left & never went back. I've had some good times, even for months, can't explain those either, just appreciate them. I've read the info on the "statins" which I'm finding very interesting as I've taken them for a loooong time. I'm interested in info & feedback & will end now before this becomes a book. Jalu
Janet

Postby Ray Holder » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:34 am

Hi Janet, and welcome to the forum.

What wonder drugs these statins are!!! the problems they cause are devastating.

At first glance, one would say stop the statin and go on Q10 and carnitine, but a few alarm bells ring in your case.

I am fairly certain that the statin, by throttling back on the production of Coenzyme Q10, is the cause of your muscle pains, and has had a part to play in the onset of diabetes, thyroid probems, and, to some extent, blood pressure. Supplementary L Carnitine would be most likely to help with your muscle weakness and pain, and would not interfere with the medications.

CoQ10 seems to be very necessary, but there are three points to make before you use any. Do you monitor your blood sugar levels yourself, regularly?, Q10 can bring sugar levels down nearer normal, but your metformin will carry on lowering them regardless, and you might get too low, unless you are able to keep an eye on them yourself.

The same applies to blood pressure. Do you monitor your own BP? Q10 will probably lower your BP, but the BP drugs keep on lowering it, and don't know when to stop, so you could find yourself getting faint and perhaps falling.

Acid reflux tablets can make your stomach alkaline, and Q10 may then encourage a yeast to grow in it, which could be dangerous. Some on this forum have experienced this, but stomach pain has given them a timely warning.

I have had no experience with statin induced thyroid problems, they are mentioned in the university of St Louis Neuro muscular website list of statin problems. What you need is a supportive doctor to work in conjunction with the necessary supplements. Unfortunately these are few and far between.

Having said all that, I would suggest that some L Carnitine, building up your dosage gradually, should give muscle relief, and it could also be a good idea to try small doses of Q10 at first, watching for ill effects, not
really due to the Q10, but due to the failings of the other drugs. I doubt if the statin is giving any real benefit, but it is causing you a lot of grief. Naturally, the doctors will say "Statins don't do that", but they really do!!

Ray
Ray Holder

Experimenting

Postby Janet » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:30 am

I've never been one to do that(exp)but this is getting serious, I've
been on the verge of tears a lot lately, other factors involved though
too. What I've done is to cut out Zocor & started Q10<50>+L-Carn<100>.
My Zocor is 40 the Q10+L-C is an all in one combo. I Took 2 a day for 2 days & thought I would do that for a week then re-intro the Zocor. Last bloodwork was very good on all counts & Bp is too. I have Dr apt. in Sept. but can go sooner, that is a G P.
I do my blood daily & its been a 100 avg+- but will watch that now.
With your info maybe I should re-start the Z in a 1/2 dose now & then add?. I don't want to mess up the good part, just want to fix the bad.
Te other factor I mentioned is a Son-inlaw with kidney cancer, kidney
removed then moved to brain, tumor removed, radiation done & on an
oral to try to prevent it getting a hold elsewhere, makes him very sick,
3kids under 12 & Mom carrying a HUGE load.
Janet

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs