The American Academy of Pediatrics Recommends Cholesterol Dr

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

The American Academy of Pediatrics Recommends Cholesterol Dr

Postby pgrimm » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:47 am

And we thought it was already pretty bad...Now they're going to give this poison to kids. And for how long, the rest of their lives? How scarey is this?

In the news today:

According to the new recommendations, children as young as eight should be given cholesterol-fighting drugs to prevent future heart problems. This is a significant change from the previous recommendations, which said cholesterol-reducing drugs should only be given to children older than 10 who have weight problems.

Doctors should also consider putting patients who are at least 8 and have too much LDL cholesterol (the “badâ€Â
pgrimm

Postby epfleger » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 am

I saw this item today and this one really scares the crap out of me. One thing I know for certain is that my children (ages 3 , 2 and newborn) will never take this poison.

I am beginning to wonder if the insurance industry is behind this statin push. Perhaps they think that statins will prevent costly heart disease down the road. How misguided. How horribly misguided.

If doctors start prescribing this to kids, just wait till you see an increase in teenage suicide and other serious cognitive effects. This poison wreaks havoc on fully-formed brain cholesterol mechanisms, I can't image what this will do to brain functions. Not to mention the horrible and lasting muscle and nervous system side effects.

I am appalled at the huberous of big pharma. But I think I am more saddened to realize that we don't hstand a chance against
epfleger

Postby harley2ride » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:20 pm

I can't believe it.... First they said it was bad for women. Now they say it is okay for women, and even want to push it off on our children.

I have an idea. How about we just get back to having people eat better foods... My cholestoral is great now that I'm taking fish oil supplements.

None of my kids or grandkids will EVER take this crap...
harley2ride

statins

Postby vipergg22 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:04 pm

I tell you what the low risk of heart disease when not taking statins is worth not getting all these life altering and dibilitating side effects . I would never have taken them if i had known .
vipergg22

Children on Statins, Willing Victims?

Postby pgrimm » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:07 pm

How about what if you (as a child) never had anything to say about it? This reminds me of giving kids all those drugs for hyperactivity, or ADHD. First they gave them ritalin, then they've started prescribing them adult antipsychotics. Mind you, the drug companies have never done any legitimate research on the effectiveness nor side effects of giving these to kids. Now statin drugs, same deal, does anyone think they've actually researched on how these drugs will effect their young, still growing bodies? I think I'll email Dr. Golomb and see what her opinion is on giving statins to 8-yr old kids. This is so disgusting. What if they just took these kids away from their parents and placed them on a "fat farm", and when the parents proved that they would feed them correctly, and made sure they'd get healthy food and some exercise, allow them to have them back when the parents have proven they will reform how they manage their health? No, they'd have to spend some money on that little project. They'd rather sell their parents drugs, or charge Medi-Cal for them, lots more profit in doing that, right?
pgrimm

Postby flacorps » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:39 pm

I think these kids are being underprescribed, they also need DES, thalidomide and of course phen/fen for the obesity plus some Vioxx...
flacorps

Postby Brian C. » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:50 pm

The first comprehensive study into psychopathy was published by Hervey Cleckley MD in 1941 as "The Mask of Sanity". It described how psychopaths could effectively mimic the non-psychopathic to win trust, gain influence and manipulate others to their advantage.

The behaviour of pharmaceutical corporations (and other corporate entities) echoes psychopathic behaviour and amplifies that of the psychopathic types that they recruit and promote for their undeniable effectiveness in ruthlessly promoting the "bottom line".

We have marketing-based medicine cleverly mimicking science-based medicine. The outward appearance belying the dirty little secret within.

Needless to say this has had a devastatingly corrupting effect on the non-psychopaths practising medicine and government decision-makers.
Also on the senior academics responsible for seeking research funding.

Journalists too are enchanted and ensnared.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby catspajamas » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:55 pm

my remedy for kids with higher than normal cholesteral.
Shut the tv off...and the video games...
make them go outside..play ball...run ...whatever
and mothers.....don't be so lazy and give them proper nutrition...cut out the fast food....sodas all day long...potato chips and junk food....if they are hungry, give them a stalk of celery...etc etc....
and mothers...don't give them a ride 3 blocks to school...the walk will do wonders...
I am very upset about this...I had a appt with a physical therapists yesterday because the dr. wants me to take aquatic exercises to strengthen my muscles...in talking to him ..He mentioned he was on statins...and he felt less strong, weaker than he had been...He said, is that how your muscles felt at first? ...I said yep...He said he was going to go off them....yea...I educated another person about statins...He was very interested as he sees a lot of people with weak muscles.....This attitude of doctors does seem futile....
catspajamas

Postby Biologist » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:42 pm

Inciteful, Brian.

I know you "get it."

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Brian C. » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:02 am

I assume you mean "insightful" :wink:

Though incite: "to stir, encourage, or urge on; stimulate or prompt to action: to incite a crowd to riot. " is pretty close to the mark.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Biologist » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:27 am

Brian,

Yes, I meant to write "insightful" but agree that I both are fitting. :)

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:33 am

This has me scared to death. To do this to young, still developing bodies and minds and again, the doctor reccomending this worked as a consultant to Abbott Laboratories and Merck & Co.

My God! This scares me to death for these poor children.They are going to end up a bunch of mindless cripples..

What it is going to take to stop this madness is for the insurance companies to realize what these drugs are REALLY costing them!
Cat Mom2

Postby JL » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:29 am

I think the American Academy of Pediatrics should GO TO JAIL for recommending that kids start taking a poison to lower a risk factor that isn't even THE cause of heart disease. Can you imagine the outcome of kids taking this poison? More congestive heart failure, alzheimer's, parkinsons, depression, muscle wasting???? KEEP YOUR KIDS AWAY FROM THE DOCTOR. DOCTORS ARE DANGEROUS!!!
JL

Postby Brian C. » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:04 am

In Nazi Germany the SS attracted a large proportion of doctors into its ranks, greater than from any other single profession.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Brian C. » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:16 am

Meanwhile, here's an example of how the profession is groomed to deliver marketing-based medicine :

*http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23894491-5005961,00.html

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Biologist » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:42 am

Brian,

I have pondered that doctor / nazi predilection in the past myself. I can see it. I cannot put it in words very well, but I'll try anyway. It seems to be an unusually strong willingness for service to authority/power -- regardless of right or wrong. Many prospective doctors (i.e., those who want to be, and pay the price to be, doctors) are motivated not by science, medicine or humanitarianism, but by enhanced social standing. It must involve the need for acceptance and praise from "important others" (e.g., the monied people; the powerful, the ruling class) -- but certainly not to the sick and powerless (e.g., patients) -- to further a goal of social climbing. You will see it in a section from the following hyperlink whereby self-preservation appears to easily trump morality on the ultimate scale: health and disease; life and death -- totally at odds with our (former) collective image of "doctor."

BTW, this is the best skewering I have yet to see on the new "kids and statins" recommendations. It's great. He capsulizes the devastating science amassed against the prescribing of statins as best as I've ever seen.

Yes, as a group, doctors appear to be happily brainwashed. There bosses want statins prescribed and that's science enough.

One thing I would add: I read in USA Today recently that this particular organization does not require disclosure of drug company affiliations in their publications. That's believable.

*http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/statins/nominees-for-the-reckless-award/

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Brian C. » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:32 am

I copied over my above "psychopathy" post from here to the comments at Dr Eades' blog. In my opinion anybody visiting spacedoc.net should get the habit of making

*http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

their next port of call. Much to be learned over and above the statin issue there.

I've noticed that the Daily Telegraph here is publishing full-page features reinforcing the cholesterol myth, lie, meme, whatever you want to call it.

For example, today's "Special Report" (on page 21) carries the prominent quote

"The human and economic cost of high cholesterol is staggering"

Which of course should have read

"The human and economic cost of the cholesterol myth is staggering"!!!

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:49 am

Brian: Great link. 'I like Mike' is a good suggestion for a bumpersticker (I don't know how I missed this one - better check my white list). Anyway, in addition to the mito info, there was a small caveat re: oral antioxidants; see below:

"Long ago the assumption was made that taking antioxidants in the form of supplements should squelch the free radicals generated within the mitochondria and result in a prolongation of life. Problem is that it doesn’t work, apparently because antioxidants taken orally don’t penetrate into the mitochondria where the free radicals are. A zillion studies have shown that taking antioxidants doesn’t increase lifespan."

Interesting, and for me - new, startling information - Zillion studies or no.

Thanks for posting.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:58 am

All the more reason to refrain from any drugs that handicap the mitos' own scavenging system.

Brian.
Brian C.

UNREAL

Postby kkolk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:08 am

I cannot believe these people. Don't they know what they have done to us. NOW they want to start doing it to kids... How in the world does someone get something like this approved.

WE NEED TO ORGANIZE>.. Is anyone in here close to congress??

We need to show our numbers, get the message out to as many people as possible.
kkolk

Next

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs