Chronic Shortness of Breath

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Chronic Shortness of Breath

Postby epfleger » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:34 am

Anyone else out there have chronic shortness of breath from statins? This is yet another new side effect that I'm having after stopping the poison about 4 months ago. The dyspnea started a few weeks ago and is with me even when I'm doing absolutely nothing. Very odd.

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated. I must say this is the most distressing of side effects yet.

Thanks...
epfleger

Postby epfleger » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:37 am

oh, almost forgot. There is an interesting article on point regarding statins and interstitial lung disease here:

*http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/186_02_150107/wal10011_fm.html
epfleger

Postby Allen1 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi there epfleger,

I also suffer from shortage of breath problems, these can appear while bending to tie a shoe lace or walking a short distance and even while just sitting and not doing anything to cause it. My symptoms seem to come and go ie the problems are often aggravated very easily for a few days then lessen for a couple of weeks before starting up again, I easily get exhausted at the same time as the breathing problems. I do have a history of Cardiac disease and have recently been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnoea, the strange thing is that some days I can do grocery shopping and the likes (with a bit of bother) and other days I can hardly walk 100 feet before puffing and panting and having to stop.

I know I am absolutely fed up with this way of living, but do I blame my heart problems for this or the Statins or a combination? As you know its sods law that when you get to see a Dr, it will be on a day that you not so bad :o

All the best,

Allen :)
Allen1

Postby catspajamas » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:39 pm

I have had shortness of breath too that started when I was on zocor....heart tests(many of them), and lung tests ....all negative.....So ..here we are again with the negative tests and still having the symptoms....No wonder drs look at us like we are hypochrondriacs....but we all know we aren't. ....just the darn statins....
catspajamas

Postby Ray Holder » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:50 pm

I have shortness of breath when I bend down to reach something or when I do not have sufficient support for my back.

I have considered this to be caused by muscle wastage, due to polio, affecting my diaphragm and my right abdominal musclea, worsened by statins, and later by a stroke. So "mechanical" causes rather than cardiac or lung problems.

The stories of breathlessness make me wonder if statin-damage muscle weakness in diaphragm or stomach areas could in some cases be sufficient to cause this effect without the other contributory factors. The loss of Q10 and especially carnitine production could well be playing a part, and the intermittent nature nature could be due to L Carnitine supplies running low. I suppose the only way to test the theory is to try increased dosage of carnitine, but increasing SLOWLY, or bowel problems may ensue.
Ray Holder

Postby Ray Holder » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:55 pm

Sorry, I posted the above accidentally before I had previewed it, but I think I had said all I intended to.

Ray
Ray Holder

I too have breathing problems

Postby nanato3 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:25 pm

although they are slight. I can be doing the simplest of things and I feel out of breath and my heart beats a little faster. One of many symptoms I have acquired since taking Lipitor.
nanato3

Postby Brian C. » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:15 am

Yes, I too easily get breathless and it seems to have worsened since stopping Lipitor 14 months ago. I do have heart disease (blocked LDA) and I believe exercise intolerance is preventing me from building collateral around the heart - but then I've lived with this for over 20 years (failed early angioplasty) and breathlessness was never a particular problem.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Cat Mom2 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:57 pm

HUmmmm... that jogged a memory in me. I use to wake up thinking I was having something like a panic attach or had been running, breathing HARD! Come to think about it, that has stpooed since I quit them.
Cat Mom2

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs