Time Range of Symptom Onset After Statin Discontinuation

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Postby jazzbird925 » Fri May 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Realizing that everyone's reaction to statins is different, I'm interested in knowing forum users' individual time frame regarding the onset of side effects once statin therapy is stopped.

Since my short term use of Lescol and then Pravastatin ended in early/mid January, I've had various medical issues which may or may not be related to statin use.

Thank you in advance for your responses. I hope that everyone enjoys their Memorial Day weekend.

Gayle
jazzbird925

Postby epfleger » Fri May 23, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi Jazzbird:

I'm so glad you made this post. Most of my symptoms seem to have occured since I stopped lipitor on Feb. 1, after being on it for eight months. My symptoms are:
-shortness of breath;
-muscle pain and weakness, particulalry calves and feet; and
-brain fog.

I have been on co-q10, ala, and alc since about 1 week after stopping and while these supplements do seem to improve the muscle problems, I have not had much relief of the breathing and brain fog problems.

What are you experiencing???

Best Regards,

Ed
epfleger

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:35 pm

Jazzbird, My doctor put on 40 mg of Lovastatin and within seven weeks the muscles of both my legs started to hurt. Unfortunately, my doctor blamed it on drinking alcohol. I cut my drinking in half, but for the next nine months my leg muscles still continued to ache and get weak until, finally, my doctor said, " I think you might be having a statin drug side effect. I have now been off of Lovastatin for 13 months. My leg muscles have been destroyed as far as normal activity is concerned. And, todate, there is no cure.
gotts
gotts1936

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:41 pm

Jazzbird, sorry, I misread your question.
gotts
gotts1936

Postby jazzbird925 » Fri May 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Hi Ed.

During and after statin therapy, I developed multiple enlarged lymph nodes in my neck (most dissipated after several months), bilateral frozen shoulders, bilateral rotator cuff tendonitis, finger nail deformaties (Beau's lines - horizontal indentations which are growing out and forming again), positive ANA, elevated Anticardiolipin, a tentative diagnosis of Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease, severe calf pain, vibrations in feet and legs and sudden, inexplicable 5 pound weight losses in the fall and again, in late April (I was only 105 to begin with).

That said, I am in insulin dependant diabetic but had none of these problems before statin therapy. My weight has always been stable and I exercise 6 days weekly (due to the frozen shoulder I can not lift weights etc. but still do an hour's worth of aerobic activity). I am convinced that the stains triggered a condition responsible for all of these problems.

As all statin victims know, the problem of dealing with our health issues is compounded by the medical community's refusal to acknowlege the negative affects of statins and consequently, continuing to prescribe them.

Since my pre-statin cholesterol was excellent and research indicates that women should not take this drug, I feel particularly betrayed. My instincts were against taking statins but my cardio and endo scared me sufficiently, so I relented, albeit only for a short time.

As an aside: I spoke with Dr. Komaldeep Gil, a member of the USC-San Diego Statin Side Effects Study last week. She strongly encourages the use of COQ10, which many of the forum members, including you, already use at varying dosages. Although many have read this, the study's website is: *www.statineffects.com/info/adverse_effects.htm

I wish you well in your recovery. Keep us posted on your progress!

Gayle
jazzbird925

Postby garystil » Sat May 24, 2008 2:33 am

Jazzbird,

I developed frozen (right) shoulder shortly after stopping the statins.

I stopped eating all foods with wheat and the frozen shoulder virtually disappeared after 2 months.

I'm sure this resolution is unique to me, but I wanted to let you know anyway.

Cheers,
Gary
garystil

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs