Short term use of Crestor ruined my life...

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Short term use of Crestor ruined my life...

Postby harley2ride » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:41 pm

I'm a 49yr old male who took 10mg dose of Crestor for only 35 days (over 18 months ago). I have experience the muscle weekness and problems that others have reported here. Mine continue to gradually worsen. I can't stand for very long, can't sit for very long, all my muscles hurt constantly. I've lost muscle mass and strength I can't even hold my arm out straight for more than a few minutes. Prior to this, I was in the National Guard, passing fitness tests, and working along side 20 -30 yr old guys who had trouble keeping up with me. I've been taking the 2000mg of coq10 daily, 2000mg of fish oil, 500mg magnesium, l-carnitine, and currently trying dhea per my doctor. So far, nothing has stopped the progression, and not much helps with the pain. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one out here. If anyone has had any luck in reversing the damage, please share with the rest of us.
harley2ride

Postby prof » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:13 pm

Harley--I'm 10 days off 17 days of Lipitor. I would say I feel a bit better than I did, but it is still too vague to say it's definite improvement. My regimen is similar to yours. (I'm 57 and was a competitive race walker.)

May I ask whether you had blood tests for CPK? Or blood testing for "anti-nuclear antibody" (ANA or NAB)? And whether liver enzymes elevated while you were on Crestor?

Power to you,

prof
prof

Postby harley2ride » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:26 pm

Yes I did have CK blood tests. They were only slightly elevated. From what I've been reading from my research on the net, you can even have rabdomyalasis, and still have fairly normal CK tests..
harley2ride

How long will blood tests show an improvement since stopping

Postby Susan C » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:35 pm

My husband took 10 mg. Lipitor for about four years. Developed anemia which has gotten worse in the four years. He stopped the Lipitor one month ago. His weekly blood tests show an improvement to the Normal Range for MCH, MCV, MCHC and RDW, but he continues with a hemoglobin of between 7.3 to 9.1. Will CBC show any positive results the longer he is off Lipitor? He had all the side effects - flailing arms, foot feeling like it is sliding off brake pedal, sleep problems, depression. He is presently getting the maximum dose of Procrit once a week - usually Thursday. We can see a pattern of him getting more tired between Tuesday and Thursday. Does this mean anything? Thanks for your help.
Susan C

Postby harley2ride » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:13 pm

Hey Susan C.
When you say hemoglobin is high are you talking white cell count. Because my WBC has averaged between 9 and 14 with each blood test, since this happened to me. Not to mention the fatigue, and frequent fevers.
harley2ride

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs