Why don't women benefit from statins?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Why don't women benefit from statins?

Postby valgators » Wed May 14, 2008 7:29 am

I have read several posts that make the statement that women don't benefit from statin therapy. I may have missed posts describing why this would be, but I haven't seen any explanations.

Could some of you with great scientific knowledge please explain why this would be. I would like to present this to my doctor who has tried to put me on Lipitor and now Crestor since I informed him last week I had taken myself off Pravastatin in February.

Many thanks.
Valgators
valgators

Postby Allen1 » Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 am

Hi there valgators,

the information you asked about is found in a number of posts and publications about statins. For now though I have just added the link to this very site for you to see what we mean.

http://www.spacedoc.net/women_statins.htm

All the best,

Allen :)
Allen1

excellent article re:women and statins

Postby eml256 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:40 pm

*http://www.whp-apsf.ca/pdf/statinsEvidenceCaution.pdf

Title: evidence for caution: women and statin use
authored by Harriet Rosenberg PhD and Danielle Allard
eml256

Postby valgators » Wed May 14, 2008 8:03 pm

Thanks for the info. I will present it to the doctor but I doubt that it will convince him I don't need to be on statins.

The interesting thing is, on statins my total cholesterol was about 202; now three months later it is 280. The irony is that when they first put me on statins in the early 90's, I do believe my total C was 280. I think that tells me that's where my body needs to be!

Valgators
valgators

cholesterol

Postby vipergg22 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:16 am

I have found a low carb diet along with at least 1000 mg of vitamin D helps control cholesterol a lot . I also eat fiber one in the morning which has a lot fiber in it , a lot more than oatmeal . I used to run anywhere from 220-250 but since starting this regimen my last report was down to 165 . It has also dropped my weight about 25 lbs without a lot of extra working out which I couldn't do anyway because of the peripheral neuropathy in both feet caused by taking statins 8 years ago. I will never take statins again .
vipergg22

Postby Ray Holder » Fri May 16, 2008 3:57 pm

Hi EM1256
Thanks for that most informative and useful link about statins and women. There is a lot of good stuff in it as well about alleged statin justification and use, and all the unrevealed data, plus the industry funding and bias in trials, etc

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby valgators » Fri May 16, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks Viperg22.....I will definitely switch to Fiber One. I had been eating a lot of oatmeal so will try this. I am already on 1000 IU's of Vitamin D3 since they determined I was very deficient back in December. I took a loading dose of 50,000 units weekly for 12 weeks and now take the 1000 daily.
Hopefully, this can make a difference because statins are out for me.

Thanks, Valgators
valgators

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs