Heel Pain

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Heel Pain

Postby gotts1936 » Fri May 09, 2008 9:58 am

About three months ago I read a post by an individual who was having Heel Pain and they had a medical name for it, but I can not locate that post. Over the last month I have developed Heel Pain and would like to know the medical term for it. Can anyone out there help?

gotts
gotts1936

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri May 09, 2008 12:55 pm

**www.footphysicians.com/footankleinfo/heel-pain.htm

Gotts: Plantar Fasciitis is probably what you remember. The above link will help explain.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Fri May 09, 2008 1:27 pm

Brooks, thank you,thank you very much. The symptoms appear exactly like I have. I do not know if it is statin drug related or not, but what has happened to my leg muscles appears to indicate it is related.

gotts
gotts1936

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri May 09, 2008 2:04 pm

HArd to say if statins are DIRECTLY responsible, but they are almost certainly culpable. Statins wasted your leg muscles and that condition made you walk differently, putting weight on your feet in a different way, and that could have caused the physical anomalies you are experiencing. Sorry you have this additional problem. I understand it can be very painful.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Ray Holder » Sat May 10, 2008 6:18 am

Hi Gotts
My story may be quite irrelevant, but there could possibly be a connection.

Three years ago I suffered a stroke, relatively mild, but bad enough for me to spend 2 months in rehab and having to learn to walk again. I still have a sensation permanently in my right arm, hand, leg and foot, something like mild pins and needles. While in hospital, I would be woken up with pain in my right heel. Another stroke victim in the same ward also had this problem.
I found that getting up and sitting on the side of my bed stopped the pain, and after a while deduced that my sense of feeling in my foot etc was being stimulated by nerve damage (not at the foot end, but at the brain end) and pressure from the weight of my leg and foot to my heel against the bed, normally ignored by my senses, was being additive in effect to the stimulus already there from the stroke damage. So it was felt as pain. My doctor later recommended me to have some sheepskin covering my heel in bed, I have a heel protector tubular fabric "sleeve" with thick lambswool down one side internally. I also have some sheepskin heel protectors, which are heel shaped, and have Velcro straps to secure them, but by the time my foot reaches the bottom of the bed, they have slipped halfway up my leg, and become useless.

My point in this tale is, could periphal neuropathy in the heel region from statin use be creating a backgroung stimulus level which the pressure due to the leg's weight additively makes it appear as pain in the heel? I would expect it to be relieved in normal sitting or walking positions. It might be worth considering before embarking on orthopaedic solutions.

Ray
Ray Holder

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sat May 10, 2008 9:40 am

Ray, I do not believe my heel pain is caused by periphal neuropathy. I appear to have classic plantar fasciitis symptoms. As long as I do not stand or walk I have no pain and the longer I walk the heel pain decreases so that it is, at least, bearable. Thanks for your contribution. Also, I might add I have seen a neurologist, yet. After two years, this website tells me all I need to know. Todate, there is no cure for statin drug damage to the Mitochondrial Pathway.

gotts
gotts1936

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sat May 10, 2008 9:42 am

Ray, sorry for the typo. I have not seen a neurologist,yet.

gotts
gotts1936

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs