Statins and Auto-immune ("lupus like") diseases

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statins and Auto-immune ("lupus like") diseases

Postby prof » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:08 pm

I will not repeat my "story" since parts of it are in earlier posts. Suffice it to say that I was on half-strength Lipitor (5 mg.) for only 17 days. I developed a significant neuropathy within that period--patches of tingling, burning, and numbness on both legs. For what it's worth, my LDL dropped from 160 to 78 on that dose in that period. Of course, what this most likely means is that I am a severe responder. The effective dose was probably much higher because even the minimal dose was not metabolized. As many of you know, people who have such "dramatic" responses appear to be at higher risk for severe adverse reactions. That seems to be the case for me.

Along with the neuropathy described, a blood test was positive for anti-nuclear antibodies. I have since learned that statins--especially Lipitor and Zocor--have been implicated in a number of auto-immune reactions, some fatal. These are often hard to assess since the actual symptoms often don't emerge until several months after initiating, or even stopping, the drug.

Of course, it may be coincidence. And it is certainly good that I caught this as early as I did. The test was not done because of any symptoms but was "incidental" for another purpose. But the following MAY be true:

Even "micro" doses of statins, used for a very brief time, may lead to severe and persisting difficulties for some number of people--neurotoxic and autoimmune. How many such people? As far as I can tell, we essentially have no idea.

prof
prof

Reply for "Prof"

Postby sos_group_owner » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:53 pm

Hi Prof,

Dr Graveline experienced TGA (transiet global amnesia) from just 5 mg of Lipitor. I read one account that someone experienced side effects from just 2.5 mg of Lipitor. Potent drugs for sure.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs