Good Cholesterol Levels But Diabetic With Carotid Blockage

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Good Cholesterol Levels But Diabetic With Carotid Blockage

Postby jazzbird925 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:51 pm

Any suggestions for someone whose cholesterol is good, exercises daily, is very slim, a nonsmoker and nondrinker but insulin-dependant with some carotid artery blockage (19%, 29%) and a strong family history of heart disease and stroke?

After short term statin use resulting in side effects, I refuse to return to statins for preventative reasons. My cardiologist and endocrinologist want to prevent heart attack and stroke (causes of death for 80% of diabetics). I had one TIA (momentary gibberish, years ago) and evidence of that on an MRI and consequently, am on aspirin therapy.

This is an uncommon scenario that isn't readily addressed. I've googled endlessly and can't locate pertinent info. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
jazzbird925

Postby valgators » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:11 pm

To Jazzbird:

I would strongly suggest you get this book: The Sinatra Solution (metabolic cardiology). It is written by Dr. Stephen T. Sinatra. The outside cover reads: "Discover the triad of cardiac health....CoQ 10, L Carnitine, and D-Ribose. In combination, they help prevent and overcome heart disease, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and Syndrome X". It is an excellent read! Discusses may different medical problems and why these supplements make a huge difference. Also gives many case studies and excellent recommendations.

Good luck!

Valgators
valgators

Postby adec » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:16 pm

Well..... vitamin D3 (2000-4000IU daily in gelcap form) and vitamin K2 [as ML-7 or Menaquinone-7] alone are important for decreasing calcification of the arteries. Twinlab sells a combination D3 + K2 MK-7 for a very reasonable price.

I also highly recommend nattokinase/nattozimes and/or serrapeptase/serrazimes (as well as digestive enzymes) all taken on an empty stomach for dissolving clots and dead fibrous tissue. All of these supplements, along with fish oil, act as extremely safe and effective blood thinners and anti-inflammatories.

Vitamin C, along with the amino acids lysine and proline, are also excellent remedies for atherosclerosis. Again, astaxanthin will help to decrease inflammation and increase lipoprotein particle size and apoA-1, which in turn reduces arterial plaque.

Assuredly, after a month of this type of supplementation you will begin to see major results upon your next doctors visit. On so many levels your heart function would increase. And the beneficial results would be far more long-lasting than any pharmaceutical could offer.
adec

Postby adec » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:25 pm

Dr. Sinatra's book is an excellent suggestion. A doctor with a highly inquisitive, logical and intuitive mind. And don't forget to add magnesium along with that CoQ10, ribose, and carnitine. Carnosine is also very under recognized as far as its part in the cellular aging process, especially when broken down into the more absorbable components of beta-alanine and histidine.
adec

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs