There should be more focus on raising HDL

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

There should be more focus on raising HDL

Postby jazzbird925 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:33 am

With most doctors concerned with lowering LDL, it appears that raising HDL has been ignored or not taken as seriously. After some brief googling on HDL, I've discovered that raising it, even by several points, can be extremely beneficial and protective against heart attack, stroke and blockage.

Since my pre-statin LDL was 80 lowering it was not a serious problem although for diabetics, the new recommendation is below 70. I'm going to instead, focus on raising my HDL which runs from 48-59. The recommedation is above 40 for men, above 50 for women. Above 60 is the optimum target for both sexes.

Vitamin B3, fish, almonds, fiber, moderate alcohol intake, exercise, weight loss etc. also help raise the level. For more info, a good place to start is Mayo Clinic's site: *www.mayoclinic.com/health/hdl-cholesterol/CL00030.

Am I alone in that I was clueless?
jazzbird925

Postby valgators » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:39 pm

Jazzbird: No I don't think you were clueless. But like most of us, we just obediently went along with the doctor's recommendations without giving any thought to what numbers actually meant.

Sometime after I had started Pravastatin, I remember my doctor saying my "good cholesterol" was 93 and because it was so high, it would naturally drive the total cholesterol count high. He said the important thing was to compare good/bad ratios. So, with absolutely no other risk factors than the high total count, I continued on the statins. Year after
year, I have developed more muscle/tendon/ligament problems. I have been off statins about two months now and sometimes I think I feel improved but then it reverses for awhile. Who knows?

What I do know, is I should never have been placed on statins! I really wasn't at risk!
valgators

Postby traderrob » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:23 pm

Why are we so concerned with cholesterol? It has been show in study after study that it is NOT responsible for heart disease.

BTW interesting article out yesterday on Vytorin's flop:

*http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1994163/posts
traderrob

Postby adec » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:27 pm

Jazzbird, I've written a lot on this forum about inducing a healthful cholesterol profile, which includes raising HDL and increasing lipoprotein particle size. It mostly gets ignored or overlooked by those still completely unable to break away from current medical science, and its dogma. This has been my most draining disappointment on the forums. Just trying to get a cohesive word out there is extremely difficult.

Obviously HDL and particle size share a huge role in overall longevity, beyond just a normalizing your body after statin-induced sides. I presented enough information on the topic (including lots about the mostly misunderstood B vitamin niacin) if you search on my posts. Also, Google on the supplement astaxanthin, safe and efficaciously superior anti-oxidant, increases HDL and particle size... everything you'd want and more. My mom was able to substantially raise her HDL to her highest recorded levels using this supplement alone.

BTW, when supplementing with high-dose niacin, above 250mg, make sure to supplement with a multi-B vitamin. Each and every B vitamin in high dosages have the potential to deplete other B vitamins. Also realize you can greatly reduce niacin flushing by co-administering with quercetin. Good luck.
adec

Postby pnisthepits » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:57 pm

I have stopped worrying about my cholesteral levels....I take 2 supplements ..one is a combo cholesteral lowering supplement...little bit niacin, guggle, fish oil, policosanol...and ethyl esters..inc. in one capsule...and the astaxthin....When the dr suggests having a choles. level done I say "save the ins. companies money" as I really don't care anymore what it is......I get the "doctor" looks but he accepts my decisions.....
pnisthepits

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs