Pravachol...from 20 to 40 to 80 and back to 20

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Pravachol...from 20 to 40 to 80 and back to 20

Postby tlowe » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:51 pm

I went on 20mg of Pravachol 5 years ago from my GP just as a precaution because diet was not getting my numbers where they should be. LDL was reasonable and below 100 if I dieted right. Two years ago, I asked to go to 40 because I read that dosage was optimal and
I had a heart scan which showed some calcium. My score was 69. A year ago this month, I went to a cardiologist because my GP retired. She said I had to go to 80mg a day and also take zetia. After a month, I was very spaced out most of the time so I was told to stop Zetia. Then I went on Niaspan and by April, I was a physical wreck. So I was told to stop Niacin and stay on 80mg of Pravachol. That did not help so I started taking 40 mg and I noted improvement in my general well-being. Then I just stopped everything and was a new person. I am now back to 20 mg of Pravachol and trying a bile acid called Welchol. My numbers are reasonable. I told my cardiologist I will live with the risks as opposed to sacrificing quality of life. I had chest pains, heart arrythmias, joint and mucsle pains, blood in urine, and lots more. All of that went away when I got back to 20mg. Cardiologists are intense people and try to reduce risks to zero. I choose to gamble instead of all these complications!
tlowe

Pravachol to Pravastatin

Postby Judy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:30 pm

Last week, I had a sudden TGA, was taken to hospital and treated as a CVA, until CAT scan and MRI, were normal. Being an RN, was extremely concerned and unable to identify cause, or prognosis. After reading all information regarding TGA, and realizing Pravastatin was probably the cause, my MD assured me that it probably was not the cause. I refused to continue Pravastatin, and he started me on Red Yeast Rice and told me, it was probably better than taking a statin. I am livid. Not only because of the TGA, but because of the cost of this med. One other thing, I started coming back in about 8 hours, but for the next week, my memory was not 100%, and I felt like someone had beaten me with a sledge hammer for a week. Anyone else experience this?
Judy

Postby Darrell » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:31 am

Red Yeast Rice IS a statin, Judy.
Darrell

Pravachol

Postby Judy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:28 pm

But, isn't Red Rice Yeast a natural herb, compared to chemical compounds made by drug manufacturers?
Judy

Fearing the change

Postby Bianca » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:06 pm

I have been on Lipitor, Zocor, Zetia, Crestor Hell and Lescol. All have proved to either give me up and down heart rates and severe muscular pains along with hell panic attacks. Off them I am great. I have an appt in early may with a wellness doctor. My cardiologist is moving me onto Prevacol and knows that the statins are causing my hell. I am trying a very low dose of prevacol and am scared. I feel great without statins but have to run thru the regimen to show nothing works. They are at least finally seeing that one size does not fit all. Please tell me that Prevacol is not as bad as Crestor which was the most hell.
Bianca

Postby Brian C. » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:26 am

Bianca, there is NO evidence that any statin is of any therapeutic value whatsoever to women in spite of the numerous studies.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby gone2beach » Thu May 28, 2009 4:53 pm

I read somewhere that in the USA you can NOT buy the Red Rice Yeast -- The FDA has seen to that!!
gone2beach

Postby aeroguy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Bianca--

I too have tried Crestor, Lipitor, and Zocor, and have had horrible side effects from all three. Crestor was the absolute worst. Problem is, all of them really helped my cholesterol numbers immensely.

Did you end up trying the Pravachol? If so, how did it work for you?

My cardiologist is going to prescribe me the lowest dose available of Pravachol this week, and if this does not set well with me, looks like I'll have to go on a spartan diet.
aeroguy

Postby Biologist » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:06 pm

"Best Ever Statin Study?"

*http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/search/label/Best%20ever%20statin%20study%3F

Here's my question:

Best Ever Title For An Article?

I conclude it is.

The tiny benefit statins offer is attained by low doses of statins, just as Dr. Graveline (and perhaps others) has said for years.

Statins remain grossly inferior to much cheaper and much safer alternatives as discussed everywhere including on this website, but if you are going to take a statin, your doctor is on the right tract.

Biologist
Biologist

done with statins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby motown » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:23 am

Well this is nothing new to you all, but I must tell you my story .
Went on 20 mg Lipator a few years ago, it got the numbers down great but I have to say all of a sudden it hit me hard I thought I was gonna die my feet and ankles sweeled up so bad I couldnt stand it an I have a high pain factor, my wrists hurt, memory loss, I felt like I was in another world I felt really bad,tried zocor same thing, tried welcor no help. Just had a check up the other day my LDL was 155 I decided to try Pravacol 20 mg WOW after 3 days it hit me Hard again, my ankles hurt so bad I had a hard time walking my wrists hurt felt really bad again Im done with Statins The quality of life is awful !!!!
Im 59 years old work out 3 times a week and walk a few miles a week,I feel Im in very good shape for my age I must say Im very active
motown

Postby amyweaver29 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:04 am

Hello! I have rheumatic heart disease-mitral valve prolapse. Thankfully, I am not prescribed with anything you are talking about. I only take aspirin - aspilets.

However, it is mama who is prescribed with Crestor, Zocor and Lipitor. I guess she had gone tried all three and she had complaints one or two that had affected her functioning. Nonetheless, she keeps 1 in case of emergency.

Glad I have heard your experience. I will get her to read this so she'll know and may contribute how she managed hers.

Regards and God bless,
Amy
[url=http://www.kaffeevollautomat-info.de]Kaffeevollautomat[/url]
amyweaver29

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs