retinal schisis

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

retinal schisis

Postby valgators » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:57 am

I have just been diagnosed with retinal schisis. I'm fortunate it was not retinal detachment.

I tried googling for info on statins/retinal schisis. Most free info pertained to statins and macular degeneration studies.

Does anyone have any input on statins/eye conditions such as this?

Thanks for your help.

Valgators
valgators

Postby Darrell » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:59 am

Try PubMed searches. You can start here:

"CONCLUSION: Simvastatin induced an increase in blood velocity and blood flow in retinal arteries and veins, increased the plasma nitrite/nitrate levels, and decreased the intraocular pressure, probably through the increase in nitric oxide."
*http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16682588
Darrell

Postby pnisthepits » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:35 pm

I was diagnosed with glaucoma after I had been on zocor for 3 years? coincidence? or ??????
pnisthepits

Postby Cat Mom2 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:51 pm

[quote]"I was diagnosed with glaucoma after I had been on zocor for 3 years?" [/quote]

I was too, only I was on lipitor and have always wondered about that!
Cat Mom2

Postby valgators » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:04 pm

Thanks Darrell, for the info. I wish I knew enough medicine to interpret exactly what the results mean in affecting the eyes. Obviously, there is a large effect.

I see my opthalmologist on Monday and will take this article with me. I will post his response.

Thanks again.
valgators

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs