We essentially have Mitochondrial Disease

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:41 pm

Biologist: You know, I hadn't thought about it, but I began taking the Viinpcetine at night, and I have been sleeping better since I began doing that.

AND, Brian, the breathe right strips also are helpful when I am having blocked nostrils at night (whichever nostril is downward shuts off). I used to sleep on my back pre-statins; that's a thing of the past.

Biologist, I remember the looong conversation you mentioned in the referenced link; I was really captured by it, but I failed to find any immediate reference to, or cognitively develop any reference to, Vinpocetine. What did I miss? Net: At any rate, I think you are on to something based on my personal experience.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:44 pm

Biologist: Disregard the last note re: no reference to Vinpocetine. I see now that part of your note was intended for ED.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby epfleger » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:38 pm

Thanks Brooks. I am going to try something for a week. I am taking myself off of all supplements. Here's my thinking. Lipitor is insidous in that it is a slow build-up of toxin in the body, then the body says "I've had enough," then your screwed. So, these daily supplements may be doing the same thing, or they may be hindering my body's natural ability to heal.

At this point, I am trying everything short of bashing my head against the wall to get rid of the dreaded brain fog. I'll keep you posted.

Later...

Ed
epfleger

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:13 pm

Ed: I understand your frustration. We all look at our daunting closet-full of powders and pills and wonder, on occasion, just what we are doing to our bodies. Several, if not all, of us have tried the "stop everything - I want off the ride" solution. As far as I know, it hasn't delivered a favorable result for anyone. But, that said, it is a question each person has to resolve to their own satisfaction and for their own peace of mind. I hope you prove the exception.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby epfleger » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I really cannot express how much good you folks are doing here. All of you.

I'm sure this is old news to most of you, but I ran across this interesting article that specifically discusses mitochondria energy-boosting supplements. Might be worth a read.

http://www.fitnessandfatloss.com/longevity.html

As noted above, I was considering going off supplements for a while, but I am just too chicken 8)
epfleger

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:09 pm

This was a great find, ED. It goes in my library of valuable links on Statins and Mitochondria. I find myself tempted to run out and add CARNOSINE and BENFOTIMINE to my Dr. Jeckel's lab immediately. Soon, I won't have to eat regular food at all.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:20 pm

I think we should join together and write a book entitled: "The care and feeding of Mitochondria, or How to keep our cellular serfs happy"

It's such a fascinating subject!... little, functional organelles with their own, independent DNA banging away at the job of keeping their environment clean and functional... absolutely fascinating stuff!

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby epfleger » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:06 am

Brooks:

I like the idea of a book. This stuff is indeed fascinating. Although I must admit that I liked being blissfully ignorant of my mitochondria better :?

In the meantime, I'm getting a bumber sticker made up that will read "My mitochondria can beat the crap out of your mitochandria."

Whataya think?

By the way, I hail from cold New Hampshire, how about you? My wife, God bless her, has been a saint through all of this nonsense and I think we're ready for a move to someplace sunny. Maybe AZ.

Ed
epfleger

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:23 pm

Ed: Yes, ignorance was bliss indeed. I'm a Texan, and, I think, given the condition of your mitochondria, the bumper sticker might be considered a serious over commitment. :wink:

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Brian,

You mentioned the Breath Right strips. I may give that a try. Here's one that has helped me which I plan to continue: Right before bed and after doing a thorough nasal flush and spraying up with decongestant nose spray (which is always twice as effective right after a nose flush were it can get to the membranes better), I lay out a glass of water and a 12-hour Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride tablet (i.e., generic Sudafed which now has to be "signed for" at with a pharmacist due to its easy conversion to methamphetamine here in the states). Note to others, this is not the same crap that is now on the shelves that looks the same and took it's place. That stuff is considered by pharmacists to be a fraud, and they're right -- the stuff does not work. (It works in the test tube but not in the body as it does not survive digestion.) So, when I wake up at night for a bathroom visit I take the pill. It's stimulative effects are not enough to keep me from getting back to sleep, and after all, it takes 20 minutes to work anyway. So I get a good night's sleep from that point on with totally clear breathing through my nose -- and the best part is, that stuff is not habit forming and does not have a rebound effect (like the nose sprays do).
_____

Brooks,

Good to hear some confirmation on the Vinpocetine sleep aid thing. I am looking forward to my new batch in a few days and giving it a good go. BTW, my "ArginoCarn," Acetyl L-Carnitine Arginate 2HCL (100 grams of powder) got in today from BeyondACentury.com (one of the sites adec recommends, which I like too, but have found better prices on the exact same capsuled items at iherb.com -- but they did not have this stuff capsuled or power). I am convinced you are onto something there -- adec has also recommended it a while back. I did some additional research on it and it sure appears to be real. Thanks for mentioning it and the hyperlink you provided. They sure are not kidding that it does not mix well with water. Also, it has as distinctive of a taste as I have found in any supplement. Interesting stuff.

Ed,

I believe you are the one asking about "brain fog." Here is the answer that you have not directly received yet as far as I can tell: Generally this is one of the most reliable symptoms to clear up over a fairly short period of time (but still could be a few months sometimes), even though it is obviously neuron-based in origin, like neuropathy, which is one of the most reliable to NOT clear up so fast. There have been a few bad cases were "brain fog" has not cleared up well (e.g., the "Hope" case publicized in the media a few years back), but that seems to be relatively rare as far as we can tell. I am sure that symptom will be leaving you before long. I had it too and would say I am completely recovered there (best I can tell). I also had a case where I could actually drink enough alcohol to be able to stagger, but still not be drunk at all (but still get a hangover). Thoroughly incredible to me. It lasted over a year after quitting statins and then just seemed to vanish. I can now enjoy a beer or two.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby epfleger » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:50 pm

Biologist:

That is probably the best news I've had in some time!! Thanks a ton for the message.

I've noticed over the last seven weeks that brain brain fog is better at some times and wrose at others. If you recall, did you brain fog wax and wain like that?

Ed
epfleger

Postby Biologist » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:46 pm

Ed,

Yes.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Brian C. » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:26 am

Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride is contra indicated for those of us with blocked arteries since it is vasoconstrictive.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:48 am

Yes, and the prostate might complain as well, but if it works, it works. I can't take it though.
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:54 am

Very good points, Brian and Brooks. Thanks for adding those in.

Hey, Brooks, have you ease up yet on your avoidance of Niacin? When is the last time you tried to take it? I have been taking all my B vitamins separately just to avoid it from a B-complex vitamin, but am thinking of trying to take it again. It is already in the multivitamin I take every other day where it is included at 20 mg.s. The smallest amount I could find in a mult-B is 50 mg. I think I will give it a try (every other day so as not to double up to 70 mg with the multivitamin). Niacin is something that I would like to take if possible. What are you thoughts on this?

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:47 am

Biologist: Not really. I've ALWAYS had a sensitivity to Niacin (I could, at one time, take small doses of Nicacinamide without flushing). BUT, since my dance with the statin devil, my allergy sensitivities have been highly elevated; especially foods, (I now have problems with seafoods) and I haven't added any B3 at all to my diet as a result. Sorry.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:49 pm

Thanks, Brooks.

I think I will go ahead and try it again. If anything of interest happens, I'll post on it.

I thought this was interesting on the naming of vitamins, specifically B3, and also about it synthesis from L-Tryptophan. I thought I had read that it was possible for the body to manufacture it, while it still considered to be a vitamin. This explains it:

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niacin

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:58 pm

Biologist: Thanks for the link - interesting boiler plate. I can understand why you want to try it (B3) again.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Previous

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs