List of Useful Tests for Muscle Damage

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

List of Useful Tests for Muscle Damage

Postby pgrimm » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:16 am

I think Bill will be admitted to the VA hospital this week for tests. His symptoms are severe chronic headaches and all over musclular/skeletal pain. I am reading all your educated posts about various tests, it's mind boggling! I want to try to get him a valid diagnosis with the right tests. Could you list which ones we should expect them to do? I have two different attorneys waiting for some information to decide if they will take his case. They each specialize in suing the VA. I know he will need a muscle biopsy, and I have asked Dr. Golomb to consult, just thought I'd tap into your vast knowledge base before going in! THANKS!
pgrimm

Postby Darrell » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:10 am

Just a reminder that a normal CK test result means NOTHING:
"Statin-Associated Myopathy with Normal Creatine Kinase Levels -- Phillips et al. 137 (7): 581 -- Annals of Internal Medicine"
*http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/abstract/137/7/581
Darrell

Postby pgrimm » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:25 am

Yes, he had the CK level at the ER a few weeks ago, and yes it was normal. I'm glad I went armed with the information I got here!
pgrimm

Postby harley2ride » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:04 pm

I had normal CK, and they ended up finding I had progressed from Statin Myopathy to Mitochondrial Myopathy. I had 2 muscle biopsy's about a year apart, EMG test, blood tests, and an Oxygen Exchange test. Dr. Paul Phillips at Scripps Memorial in San Diego is good, my doc with the MDA (Dr. Robert Friedman), and Dr. Singleton/Robinson Salt Lake University Hospital is coming around on Statin damage.
harley2ride

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs