Sleeping Comfortably

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Sleeping Comfortably

Postby jazzbird925 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:47 pm

Does anybody have tried and true suggestions for resting and sleeping comfortably? Since both of my shoulders and arms are affected (pain, limited mobility) sleeping is a challenge. Without my Ambien CR, I couldn't even get a limited 3-5 hours of rest each night.

There must be particular pillows and mattress/bed additions available for people in pain. I'm not a back sleeper and that is the only semi-comfortable position for me right now.

I'm desperate and only half-jokingly told my husband I want a water bed........

Lastly, has anyone had luck with magnetic therapy devices? I'd rather not venture into the pain medication route - prescription or OTC.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
jazzbird925

Foam neck pillow

Postby pgrimm » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:04 pm

I can offer just a very minor contribution. Bill has been having a horrible time with sleep since all this started two months ago with neck and head pain. I bought him one of those horse-shoe shaped foam pillows that molds to you. He tells me that it has been extremely helpful, and carries it around the house with him to use even while sitting in a chair. It's called "Therapedic" memory foam pillow.

His neurologist prescribed yet another drug for sleep, amitryptilene. We found out later that it was on the forbidden drug interaction list! Be careful with all drugs they prescribe!
pgrimm

Postby adec » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:18 pm

5-HTP (25-50mg) or tryptophan (500mg) taken in the afternoon. Time-release melatonin (3mg) taken just before retiring for the night. There's an unquestionable biochemistry behind all of these supplements to induce healthy sleep patterns, unlike patentable drugs.
adec

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:21 pm

I agree with adec: Triptophan and melatonin work. You should try them.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:55 am

Very pure L-tryptophan is available from Lidtke Technologies

*www.biochemicals.com

Brian.
Brian C.

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs