Statin Drugs/ Tendon problems reconized now!

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statin Drugs/ Tendon problems reconized now!

Postby Cat Mom2 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:05 am

On The CBS Early Show this morning they had yet another story on statin drugs. This time, tendon damage. HELLO?... Now maybe the doctors will listen to me? However, they are saying it is happening in people under 50 who work out. In a study of 96 people done in France they found tendon problems and tendinitis who were on statin drugs. The story is not up on their web sight yet but I WILL be printing it out and taking it to my doctor when it does (if it is printable) so they will quit thinking I am crazy. How quick they change the subject when they ask me how I hurt my shoulder and I tell them "I took statin drugs!".. WHEN are they ever going to wake up and start listening to us, the people who actually take those drugs and experience these problems?!!!

I am over 50 and wasn't working out but a lot of our everyday tasks work out our bodies and with no warning, no prior problems, I suddenly have arthritis, tendonitis, burscitis and a bone spur all in that one shoulder?
Cat Mom2

chronic tendinitis

Postby valgators » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:23 am

Dear CatMom 2: Wow, I wish I had seen this show! I have experienced chronic tendinitis since I started statins about 11 years ago.
I am now dealing with it in my wrist, but I have had it all over the body.
I had an appt. yesterday with the occupational therapist and she remarked how unusual it was for anyone to have so many episodes of tendinitis. She said it is very rare to have multiple sites. I told her I was sure it was due to statin drug use for so many years. Of course, she didn't know about any of this but I am positive the statins caused the first achilles tendinitis and it has been chronic and continual for years. Just 2 years ago, I had tendinitis in the left shoulder and that led to a frozen shoulder. Cortisone injections helped as did ongoing PT. Finally, the shoulder is almost back to normal.

I have now been off the statins for about 4 weeks and seem to ache less.
I also think the dr who ran the vitamin D deficiency test and discovered my defiency has helped me a lot by prescribing the "loading dose of 50,000 units of Vitamin D weekly for 12 weeks". I am in the eighth week now and feel stronger.

My chronic problems continue to be worst in both ankles and feet. The muscles are very weak and this has led to ligament problems. I am getting PT (again) but with the vitamin D, COQ 10 and carnitine, I am more optimistic than ever that I can get back to a semblance of normal lifestyle.

Thanks everyone for the good info.
valgators

Statins and Tendonitisi

Postby jazzbird925 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:15 am

I've never posted a reply before so hopefully, this was done correctly:

The Early Show story on statins and tendons is below. As mentioned by Cat Mom2, this is supposedly more common in those who work out regularly, which I did and still try to do despite pain and lack of full mobility. My knees are starting to go - cracking and the sensation of vulnerability to collapsing As of this morning, my neck cracks when I stretch it out or move it side to side or down. I make alot of noise these days - pretty much everything cracks with movement.

Raising a 13 year old and trying to maintain my exercise routine to control my Type 1-1/2 diabetes is a real challange.

Retorical question but when does this end? This is a life of misery!

*www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20080228/study-links-statin-use-to-tendon-injury?src=rss_cbsnews
jazzbird925

Postby Darrell » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:36 am

Jazzbird925, knee hyper-extension and cracking was the first symptom of statin-damage for me. I think that's because my leg muscles were my strongest and most-exercised and the statin damaged the muscle mitochondria ("the cell's powerhouse").

Everything I know about statin muscle damage says you should not be working out while in pain. The pain is indicative of an improper build-up of wastes within your muscle calls and working out under that circumstance can cause more waste build-up and potentially permanent damage. Better to work out more-frequently for shorter periods.
Darrell

tendons/statins

Postby valgators » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:51 am

Dear jazzbird925

Thank you so much for the link to the article on statins and tendon problems. I'm emailing it to a lot of people and will take it to the dr with me on next visit.

Valgators
valgators

Statins and Tendonitis

Postby jazzbird925 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:09 pm

Darrell,

Thank you for your response.

Would you contact me via email? I have some questions that are specific to my situation and don't think it fair to other forum members if I use this as a personal question/answer venue for every personal concern.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Gayle
gsfix4@verizon.net
jazzbird925

Postby Cat Mom2 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:44 pm

jazzbird925=-I think you should post you questions and his answers here as we are ALL learning here how to deal with our own problems these drugs created. If it is statin related, my personal belief it that it should be here for all to see and possiably help.

valgators- Your story sounds almost identical to mine. I have had that sudden grabbing pain in my ankle that just about throws me down when it hits while on them and wose since off of them. The knees I researched on the internet and the discription is knee tendons something or other that I had. Mine moved joint to joint, not a joint was spared. It has been in my shoulder now for a year, I have had shots twice in it that only lasted a week and I have given up on the doctor helping with that. I can see him giving $150 a month to come in and talk to me for 3 minutes when he isn't doing anything, the shots are $250 a stick and I get stuck twice each time and they only help for a week. It is just not worth it to me.
Cat Mom2

Postby Cat Mom2 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:48 pm

I don't see a edit button and there was something I forgot and wanted to ad.

For some of us our work is like a workout so it shouldn't be specified that ONLY people who work out are the only ones who gets this. Things I do at work and at home would equal any work out in a gym!
Cat Mom2

Postby Darrell » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Indeed, Cat Mom2. If you have a statin-affected leg, just driving can be a work-out. Before I started carnitine, just braking in bumper-to-bumper traffic could force the early termination of a trip.
Darrell

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:33 am

Anybody have any clue as to how long it takes these tendons to heal or do they ever? I may have to end up retiring because of mine if it don't hurry up and heal or at least find a different job where I am not required to use this shoulder.
Cat Mom2

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:37 am

I have posted this before and hope I'm not wearing on anyone's patience, but due to Zocor poisoning, my shoulders used to creak and pop and pain me terribly. I ordered JOINT RELIEF by IcelandHealth as a desperate act, but it truly has helped me. I don't notice ANY creaking any longer. I have complete range of motion, and the pain is entirely gone. It took about a month to begin to notice a difference. I've no interest in the product other than to relate my experience. MAYBE it will help some of you. Just Google it, and make your own assessment.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs