Petition for consumer reporting of drug side effects

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Petition for consumer reporting of drug side effects

Postby Dee » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:18 pm

This is from Consumers Union. The link to sign the petition:

*https://secure.consumersunion.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=Rx_Drug_Ads_Petition

(Remove askerisk)

Information from the petition page:

"Tell the FDA what you think about drug ads.

Goal: 50,000 signatures!

Fed up with TV ads that sell you the “good news” about prescription drugs but gloss over the shortcomings? Do these drugs actually work? And how common are those side effects?

Petition for Better Reporting of Drug Side Effects

I support requiring all drug ads to include a 1-800 number and website so citizens can report drug side effects (petition docket 2008P-0012/CP1).

All too often, drug advertisements fail to present the benefits and risks of using prescription drugs in an accurate and balanced way. It is often the newest drugs that are the most heavily advertised, and it is these drugs whose side effects we know the least about.

The current system for collecting information about side effects catches only a fraction of actual cases. The recent law passed to require print drug ads to provide a 1-800 number and website (FDAAA -- P.L. 110-85) is a step in the right direction, but should be extended to include TV ads which are viewed far more frequently and with a greater command of the viewing audience.

Increased reporting of adverse events will help in the earlier detection and better analysis of problems. All television ads should contain information on how patients can report side effects to the FDA."
Dee

Postby SusieO » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:21 pm

Thanks for the link Dee - I signed it.
SusieO

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:47 am

Signed it.
cjbrooksjc

Postby Allen1 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:08 am

Hi there SusieO.

Well I am surprised, but I even managed to sign that petition using my address in the UK. At the bottom of the State selection just select "none" and enter the other fields with your address, town plus (Zip/ post code) and it is accepted.

All you need to do after that is send the email below to someone and that is it!

I just signed a petition for better reporting of prescription drug side effects. We are bombarded by drug ads on TV that often fail to give us a balanced picture of a drug’s benefits and risks.

We deserve to know more about possible serious risks of the drugs we take. Click on the image to see a video critique of a commercial for Rozerem. Then sign the petition to the FDA to include a toll free number and website in TV ads so consumers can report side effects.

Thanks so much for your help!
Allen1

Postby Allen1 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:11 am

OOps sorry Dee, I said SusieO by mistake :-)
Allen1

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs