statin drugs

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:04 pm

Can Muscle Atrophy due to statin drugs be repaired?
gotts1936

Postby Ray Holder » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi Gotts
You will need to take some supplements to help repair muscle atrophy. you will Q10 in any event, but L Carnitine is a permanent necessity for me to keep muscle wastage at bay. It brought my much wasted quadriceps back to size in a few weeks, and maintains it there.

There are many posts on the subject, Muscle pains and statins is a good place to start, then Relief for my leg muscle pain by Darrell in April 2006. If any problem, please post again, it is getting a bit late for me at the moment.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby gedunk » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:19 pm

Goodness. I've only been on this forum a few days, and the amount I have learned is frightening!

I was on Statins on 2 1/2 years, and I now consider my self lucky to have taken myself off so quickly.

This thread explains why I was beginnig to have the "aches" a lot. I was starting to feel like I was coming down with the flu a lot - the muscle aches that accompany that.

I've been off statins for 2 weeks now, and the aches have almost disappeared for me.
gedunk

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:07 pm

gedunk: (I assume that's a military handle) Flu-like symptoms is common (without fever). Good you got to the forum this fast.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:28 pm

Ray, thanks for the info. After being off lovastatin for seven months, my leg muscles no longer ache when I am sitting down, but I have pain when I try to get up from the chair and when I am walking. Looks like its permanent muscle damage. I have been taking COQ10, 400mg aday and just started taking 250mg of L-Carnitine. Hoping for some relief when I walk. Again, thanks.

Gotts
gotts1936

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:00 pm

gotts: From your dosage description you may be able to increase your intake of both CoQ10 AND L-Carnitine and improve your recovery time. My condition is nowhere as severe as Ray's but I take a daily TOTAL of 600 to 900 Mg of CoQ10 now and around 1500 Mg of L-carnitine and Acetyl L-carnitine combined (1000 LC and 500 ALC) divided into three doses during the day. It keeps the cramps at bay, gives me more stamina, and helps me recover my muscle tone. I can't remember what Ray's intake is.

Headache is a sign you are taking too much CoQ10 and intestinal complaints a sign you are taking to much carnitine. It's different, it seems, for everyone, but your dosage MAY be a bit low. Also, CoQ10 can lower your BP by improving your heart function, especially if you are taking BP meds now; you should monitor that. In my experience, since we have no professional guidance as to dosage and side effect, you simply have to let your body tell you what to do.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:09 pm

cjbrooksjc, I will increase my COQ10 and L-Carnitine, also I will get some Actyl-L-Carnitine. Thank you for your help.
gotts1936

Postby gedunk » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:00 pm

[quote="cjbrooksjc"]gedunk: (I assume that's a military handle) Flu-like symptoms is common (without fever). Good you got to the forum this fast.

Brooks[/quote]

Yeah, gedunk is Navy slang for a vending machine. I have have no idea of where it came from though. Some swab teaching a Sattelite Communication School in San Diego (25 years ago) gave me that little tidbit. :lol:
gedunk

Gedunk

Postby Darrell » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:46 pm

If Google doesn't know, Wikipedia does...
*www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gedunk_bar
Darrell

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs