Poll: Would you participate in a class action lawsuit

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Would you participate in a class action suit against drug companies?

Poll ended at Mon May 12, 2008 3:29 pm

Yes
81%
No
11%
undecided
7%

Total votes : 27

Poll: Would you participate in a class action lawsuit

Postby harley2ride » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:29 pm

Just interested in seeing how many folks here would be willing to participate in a class action suit against the drug companies for the damage done to us by statins. Even if it would mean that we would have to pay the attorney for his time? Maybe someday, a good attorney will look at this at we will get a little bit of justice...
harley2ride

Postby Allen1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:24 am

Hi there harley2ride,

I think most sufferers would join in a class action lawsuit if it was based on a no win no fee method or something along those lines. Most people including myself here in the UK would like to see justice done, the main problem is that a great deal of us victims are not in a financial position to pursue this unless as mentioned, it was by no win or a percentage of any winnings to the law firm or something like that.

Getting proof that the problems were initiated or directly caused by statins is also as you know at the present a tough one to prove, many doctors are still in denial about the problems. The way things are coming out now I would expect in a years time or so, that there will be very little that has not been brought to the attention of doctors and the media.

I am voting yes, and I hope some Law firm has the guts to take this on and make a difference to peoples lives or what they have left of it.
Allen1

Postby Dee » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:00 am

Hi Allen,

I think almost all cases like this would be on a contingency basis. The lawyers I talked to said 30%-40% of the recovered amount would be the fee.

However, they often hide extra costs to you in the fine print, so you would want to read that VERY carefully before signing on with any attorney.

So basically, they want a "slam dunk" case, almost 100% sure to win (and win a VERY large amount), or they will not do it. Plain as that.
Dee

statin lawsuits

Postby gotts1936 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Does anyone had a count of how many individuals have been adversely effected by statin drug use? If I was a lawyer I would need to know how many individuals have been adversely impacted by statin drug usage before I decided to participated in a general drug company lawsuit.

gotts1936
gotts1936

Postby harley2ride » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:40 am

gotts1936 - There was a big Vioxx suit, and it only affected a couple of people (proven). It will be years before the impact of many of these drugs become known.
harley2ride

Postby Allen1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi there Dee

That is terrible, even if we win we don't win! what a farce.

The only hope I can think of is when more claims are proven that there will be a stampede of lawyers looking for victims so that they can get on the gravy train, maybe then the victim will select the lawyer and the price they are willing to pay for their services and not the other way round.

All the best,

Allen :-)
Allen1

Class action suits usually make attorneys rich

Postby kkolk » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:06 pm

I am new to this site. I have spoke with My attorney and they have recommeded against getting a class action together as the resulting impact to the corporation is usually small and the individuals do not benefit hardley at all.

I don't know about you guys but my medical bill are way beyond my means all because of this medication that was supposed to be saving my life may actually end it.
kkolk

Postby Allen1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi there kkolk,

thanks for passing on that information about what the attorney said.

For your medical needs that have arose from using statins, I recommend you look at some of the posts about Coenzyme Q10 and L-Carnintine and other supplements, all of the items and where to get them from are amongst some of the posts. The first 2 items are probably the most needed and not too expensive when ordered in bulk form and they do make one hell of a difference to what you are going through. Have a quick look around and you will soon see what you need ok.

All the best and get better soon,

Allen.
Allen1

statin drug poll

Postby gotts1936 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:25 pm

WOW, Only 16 or so statin drug users who have been adversely impacted are willing to fight the drug companies. I can not believe it. Maybe we all deserve to suffer or die. I am so depressed I am going to resume smoking cigars and drinking beer. To Hell with the medical profession! Like the song, "I did it my way" or the old country song, Live hard, die young and leave a beautiful memory" , makes more sense.
gotts1936

Postby Dee » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi Gotts,

Well that is 81%. Not too bad.

None of us deserve what has happened to us.

We are caught in a corrupt, manipulating system. That wasn't our fault, but our misfortune.

We can, in our own way, at least tell our stories and help others to avoid our fate. Most days that is what keeps me going.
Dee

Postby gedunk » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:36 pm

If you have 20 years to wait, then file.

Regardless of what the contingency fee is, you will never see anything but a pittance. If you want to sue them for something, sue for legal fees, and 100 percent medical care for the rest of your life as treated by the MD of your choice; when & where you choose. Whatever treatment prescribed is done and paid for 100%

That will settle MUCH faster, be easier to account for individually, and make some great headlines.
gedunk

Postby Dee » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:55 pm

I believe there would be a figure included, or "deal" within the suit to award future medical costs as part of any settlement. That seems pretty standard.

Then you would have loss of income, pain and suffering, emotional distress, damages to a spouse, etc.

The legal fees would be an interesting addition. In a civil case, I think legal fees "can" be awarded to the prevailing party. Doesn't mean they "have" to be.

I did read about an employment case. The award was $125,000 in actual and punitive damages. After the legal fees and taxes to Uncle Sam, the victim ended up with $27,000.
Dee

Postby Dee » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:01 pm

Also, perhaps a choice of "individual suit" should have been included in the poll.

Maybe the folks voting NO are not opposed to filing their own suit, just would not care to be included in a class action.

For those of you voting NO, could you please share your reason?
Dee

Re: If I had the money or could find a lawyer that would ...

Postby jwren » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:04 pm

Just noticed my subject doesn't seem to be that easy to view....so I will post my message again...

If I had the money or could find a lawyer that would ...
take a case regardless if he/she won or not and not charge me, I am all for it. I just can't afford to pay for that right now...If I had the money to do it, I would and think we would win... we can prove that the drugs caused his problems..for the most part..I just have to gather my info I have got together... It would be worth it to me if it saves others from this and could somehow do something more for my husband. He is miserable... :cry:

In the meantime if there is a class action suit, count us in 100%.... pm me if need be...
jwren

Awaiting response from Atty

Postby pgrimm » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:22 pm

...who has a practice that specializes in suing the VA system. This is all new, so I'll let you know if we're successful in getting them to take the case.
pgrimm

First things first:

Postby catamaran » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:01 pm

:!: A very good start at controlling the excesses of the FDA/Drug Cartel
axis would be to repeal the rule that allows drug companies to direct-advertise.

Drug companies, in my opinion, prey on the myriad hypochondriacs, poor souls, that rush off to their
doctors at the behest of the phrase I have come to really hate, "....ask your doctor if XXXX is right for you..."
to buy some usually useless, but very expensive prescription nostrum peddled by the drug companies. :?
catamaran

Postby harley2ride » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:34 pm

[quote="Dee"]I believe there would be a figure included, or "deal" within the suit to award future medical costs as part of any settlement. That seems pretty standard.

Then you would have loss of income, pain and suffering, emotional distress, damages to a spouse, etc.

The legal fees would be an interesting addition. In a civil case, I think legal fees "can" be awarded to the prevailing party. Doesn't mean they "have" to be.

I did read about an employment case. The award was $125,000 in actual and punitive damages. After the legal fees and taxes to Uncle Sam, the victim ended up with $27,000.[/quote]

Even a measly sum of $27,000.00 would at least help erase a small portion of my negative $60,000.00 and growing. Just the recognition that they are wrong, that they lied, and to maybe stop them from harming others would be enough for me.
harley2ride

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs