LDL PHEROSIS

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

LDL PHEROSIS

Postby bibbz » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:11 am

Hi everyone, havn`t been on for awhile but felt the need to tell you the latest.
As some of you are aware i have also suffered these terrible side effects from statins, and finally my doc listened and told me to stop them. Then she sent a referral to the lipids clinic at the Liverpool Royal hospital. My cholesterol level is now 14.3 in uk measures (VERY HIGH) I attended the clinic last Friday and the consultant there explained my options and said the only drug that would significantly reduce my levels were statins and as I cant tolerate them he has now offered me LDL PHEROSIS which is a blood filtering system similar to dialisis. I would have to attend the hospital twice a month for the rest of my life....but...would never have to take any lipid lowering drugs. As I have never heard of this treatment, I am disparately searching for info.
My history is Familial, Aged 30 Angina and hypertension. aged 45 triple bypass aged 57 now.
MY consultant has left the decision with me, the only other option is quality of life v quantity by living with such high levels. Any comments would be appreciated

Many thanks Lavinia x
bibbz

Postby Ray Holder » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:48 am

Hi bibbz
I looked this up on Google, but the name appears to be LDL apheresis, and there are several pieces about it. It appears to be a similar freatment to dialysis, but with different materials in the process.

I could not comment on it, obviously it is a very long term commitment, and only you can decide. It would be nice to know someone who has experienced it, but I suspect it is too new for many to have taken it. It Is also said to be very expensive, but if the NHS will pay, that does not affect you.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby Ray Holder » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:07 pm

bibbz
I have just found a site run by Kaneka, the Q10 makers, showing their liposorber, which seems to be the process, with lots of Q and As and links.

It is at *www.liposorber.com

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby bibbz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:32 pm

Ray
Your a star thank you so much for the great link, I think this site will give me most of the info i need.

Yes the NHS is going to pay for this treatment but it will all depend on my tri level, its got to be low to enable the treatment to go ahead, but as yet I dont know what the levels are supposed to be. Hopefully all will be revealed as i get more info and a printout of my bloods from the doc.

its way past midnight now so I will look at liposorber to-morrow cant wait!!
Thanks again Ray, i will post updates as things progress.

Best wishes

Lavinia x
bibbz

Postby Brian C. » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:49 am

Lavinia, the way to reduce the triglyceride level in your blood is to follow a low-carb diet. Also, avoid manufactured/processed foodstuffs and eat fresh, organic produce, preferably locally farmed.

Chuck out the breakfast cereals & eat eggs instead. That's what I do.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Brian C. » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:18 am

Re my posting above. Just found this interesting review :

"In Defence of Food"

*http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/non-fiction/article3202051.ece

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby bibbz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:56 pm

Thanks Brian
I have recently totally changed my diet always have my 5 a day....and started cooking again for myself instead of living off tv dinners.....now that I`m off the statins I have the energy to look after myself more. My Tri`s are 1.2 and my doc said that is quite good.
I usually start my day with porridge and honey, I will have to check out if thats ok on the link you have kindly given me.
I have been into the link that Ray sent me and have found out quite a lot about the blood filtering and it all seems good stuff. i will update when I find out more info. Thanks again Brian I will browse your link now.

Lavinia x
bibbz

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs