Pravastatin Side Effects? Support, Info & Advice Needed!

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Pravastatin Side Effects? Support, Info & Advice Needed!

Postby jazzbird925 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:39 am

Hi.

I am an insulin dependent Type 1 diabetic (diagnosed with gestational diabetes 20 years ago). I am active, thin (103-105 lbs) and in part, exercise controlled. My bloodwork is for the most part very good: A1C 6.8 (should come down a bit), LDL has been as low as 65 and never higher than 85 without medication.

That said, when a recent carotid doppler revealed 19% blockage and 29-39% blockage in my arteries, my cardiologist prescribed Lescol as protection against heart disease and stroke. Within days of starting the medication, I lost 5 pounds and had severe calf pain. I stopped the Lescol and was put on Pravastatin, 40 mg.

Initially, I tolerated this statin and the 5 pounds returned, but with 7-10 days, I began developing neck lumps - one of which is an enlarged lymph node and under observation.

I also developed severe shoulder and bicep pain, a popping sound when using my arms (ligaments?) and have limited mobility: putting on and taking off clothing, pushing a shopping cart, reading a book - the simplest of things are painful and restrictive. My daily exercise regime has become difficult but is still necessary due to my diabetes. Thankfully, as of this posting, my legs do not appear to be affected.

The Pravastatin was stopped several weeks ago but there is no improvement. A non-contrast CT scan was done of the lumps and enlarged lymph node and although non-contrast is a compromised exam, nothing alarming was noted. The lumps are being monitored with a return visit to the doctor in several weeks.

Most recently, I've noticed what I discovered is Beau's Lines - horizontal indentations on 7 of my finger nails. According to an internet search, this condition can be caused by medication reaction, illness, trauma etc. My theory is yet another side effect of the statins use - this newest development is too coincidental to statin usage.

Any input, help, validation would be appreciated. Needless to say, this is a miserable situation

Thank you in advance for your responses. I've posted this on several forums in hopes of attracting a wider 'audience.'
jazzbird925

Postby Dee » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi Jazzbird,

I am also diabetic, type 2. I have permanent damage after being on 20mg of Pravachol for 2yrs. and 8 months. I began having serious problems after only 8 weeks on the junk, but my blood tests were normal and the doc kept saying I had other things wrong with me. Too late, I was told to get off Pravachol by another doctor.

You can go to this link on this forum and read all the things I developed while on Pravachol.

*http://www.spacedoc.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=995

(Remove the asterisk)

I personally think the recommendation to put "all" diabetics on statins is criminal, we don't need more obstacles and the clinical trials prove they are worthless anyway.
Dee

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs