Hospital stay

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Hospital stay

Postby SusieO » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:20 pm

I was taken by ambulance to the hospital Saturday evening. After running tests they found ulcers as well as diverticulosis. I am waiting for biopsy results to see if I need an antibiotic for the ulcers.

It seems since taking Lipitor my body reacts to so many medications that I am unable to take much of anything. I can't take a PPI (Nexium, Prilosec and so forth) because they caused me muscle weakness last year. Now they put me on Carafate and that is causing headache, dizzyness and nausea. Before Lipitor I had no problems taking any type of medications and now nothing works. I feel like a fool when I have to tell doctors "this hurts me, that hurts me" because they look at me like I am a hypochondriac and then they say "well what do you expect me to do to help you if you can't take the meds".

At the hospital some nurses and drs believed my Lipitor story of my muscle weakness and others would say that I was the first person that has ever said that about a statin drug.

I am hoping when I see my wellness doctor on Wednesday he will have something for me to take for the ulcers. Until then I am not taking the med they gave me as I feel worse than when I left the hospital.

Did Lipitor cause the ulcers and diverticulosis - I doubt it, but I feel 100% certain it has played a number on my metabolism as far as not being able to take so many meds. :x
SusieO

Postby Cat Mom2 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:13 pm

Hummmm.... Right after they increased my Lipitor to 40mg, in about my 5th year on them, I was disagnosed with diverticulosis, I thought that doctor was CRAZY! (discovered it in my last colonscopy) She handed my daughter a diet sheet with a list of foods on it that I was suppose to eat...... but it was all foods I had NOT been able to eat in the last 30-35 years because I had colitis/IBS and every one of those food would set off the pain and dirreah.

Then I got off of the statins and got on the supplements and I suddenly can eat anything I want and have ever since and I have been giving the supplemants all the credit!

I also have found I am Miss Side Effect Queen with everything I try to take since I quit the statin drug. Just today I bought some Zicam and I have only used it once... I will NOT use it again, I have been nauseated ever since.
Cat Mom2

Postby vipergg22 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:53 pm

[quote="Cat Mom2"]Hummmm.... Right after they increased my Lipitor to 40mg, in about my 5th year on them, I was disagnosed with diverticulosis, I thought that doctor was CRAZY! (discovered it in my last colonscopy) She handed my daughter a diet sheet with a list of foods on it that I was suppose to eat...... but it was all foods I had NOT been able to eat in the last 30-35 years because I had colitis/IBS and every one of those food would set off the pain and dirreah.

Then I got off of the statins and got on the supplements and I suddenly can eat anything I want and have ever since and I have been giving the supplemants all the credit!

I also have found I am Miss Side Effect Queen with everything I try to take since I quit the statin drug. Just today I bought some Zicam and I have only used it once... I will NOT use it again, I have been nauseated ever since.[/quote]

Zinc is rough on the stomach and you should not take it on a empty stomach . If you are taking it to shorten colds then you might try Cold EZe . They make bubblegum now that you chew for a little while then discard and that gives you the zinc .
vipergg22

Postby SusieO » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:05 am

[quote="Cat Mom2"]Hummmm.... Right after they increased my Lipitor to 40mg, in about my 5th year on them, I was disagnosed with diverticulosis, I thought that doctor was CRAZY! (discovered it in my last colonscopy) She handed my daughter a diet sheet with a list of foods on it that I was suppose to eat...... but it was all foods I had NOT been able to eat in the last 30-35 years because I had colitis/IBS and every one of those food would set off the pain and dirreah.

I also have found I am Miss Side Effect Queen with everything I try to take since I quit the statin drug. Just today I bought some Zicam and I have only used it once... I will NOT use it again, I have been nauseated ever since.[/quote]
CatMom2 I hear you about side effects. I did some research last night and will be going the natural route to heal my uclers. I found out I should eat raw cabbage and/or cabbage juice as well as taking the supplement Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice. This licorice is in one of my supplements that my Wellness Doctor is giving me, so I have a feeling he will up my dosage.

I am feeling much better today since stopping the Carafate. Only problem now is my tummy hurts because the Carafate causes constipation and I need to "go". What a great thing to be constipated when you need soft stools to help the diverticulosis!
SusieO

Postby catspajamas » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:51 pm

:roll: Know where you are coming from SusieQ....I can't take a lot of meds now either.....Stomach is much more sensitive...Dr. Weil had a recipe for GERD that I copied...all natural..and it probably would also help your ulcer....2 tsp. honey, 1 t sp apple cider vinegar, 8 oz water..mix tog and drink....It has worked a lot better that prilosec or any of the other expensive stuff for me.....worth a try....good luck...
catspajamas

Postby SusieO » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:46 am

Catspj's I just started taking 1 tsp of Manuka Honey before each meal and at bedtime. It is supposed to heal ulcers - even if you have the H. Pylori bacteria as well as curing many other things. This honey is only found in New Zealand and it is about $40 for one pound, but if it helps it is well worth it!

I had been doing a daily shot of apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and vinegar - I will go back on that! It actually tasted pretty good.
SusieO

Postby catspajamas » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:31 pm

I had a typo error in the recipe...should be just 1 tsp apple cider vinegar..to 8 oz water and 2 tsp honey....
Also read where a apple a day is useful...something about the acid in apples contradicting our own in our stomach...
Don't you think our great grandparents had a lot of old remedies that worked rather than the expense and side effect of these so called new fangled drugs?
catspajamas

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs