advicor side effects

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

advicor side effects

Postby wavaviary » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:49 am

I am a 52 y/o male who took advicor for 4 years at 500 mg daily dosage without too much trouble. My doctor then doubled my dosage to 1000 mg and within a couple of weeks I developed numbness in both of my pinky fingers. Over the next year this progressed to severe muscle wasting in both my hands, arms, shoulders and legs. My neurologist took me off the Advicor last June due to my high CPK and Myoglobin values. I now have abnormal EMG studies due to severe upper motor neuron disease, which is an "ALS" like syndrome.

I would like to hear from others who have had similiar problems. I have been off the Statin for nearly 7 months now and my condition continues to progress.
wavaviary

correction

Postby wavaviary » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:53 am

I have[b] lower[/b] motor neuron disease, not upper as I stated in my last message.
wavaviary

Postby carbuffmom » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:56 am

I have also been diagnosed with ALS after taking statins for 13 years. I was diagnosed 2 years ago at the age of 48. I have muscle wastage in my hands and arms. My arms are very weak. I also had bad EMG results. I have no doubt that statins caused my problems also. If I can help, please contact me. DEB
carbuffmom

Postby adec » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:17 am

Hi wavaviary, I hope you continue to read, post, and share your statin-recovery story with us. You can also use the search function to find answers to many of your questions. As you can see, there are many helpful people here who have similar stories to share.

My mom exhibited symptoms of a neurodegenerative disorder while taking statins. Although, hers was a Parkinson's-like shaking effect. And while she didn't experience visible muscle wasting, there was a great deal of myalgia and myopathy. Her muscle weakness became pronounced enough as to where she rarely left her bed. But she has since 100 percent recovered, and perhaps you can have a similar prognosis.

First, you need to take CoQ10 (100-300mg daily,) ASAP. This will aid you in your recovery. Statins are known to deplete CoQ10 levels. CoQ10 is responsible for the conversion of food into cellular energy. Next, you will need acetyl-L-carnitine for your mitochondrial-related symptoms. You can also try a product called Alpha GPC, and two other amino acids inosine, creatine, carnosine. Also any formula containing glucosamine, chondrotin and MSM. You also want to stay away from any foods containing MSG.

Again, you need to take these ASAP:
1. CoQ10
2. Acetyl-l-carnitine
===============
and if possible I would suggest trying these things....
3. Alpha GPC
4. Inosine
5. Creatine
6. Carnosine
7. Glucosamine, Chondrotin, MSM tablets... for instance Osteo Bi-Flex

You should find these supplements locally, or can buy them very inexpensively on-line, for instance at Vitacost.com. Good luck, and hang in there.
adec

CoQ10

Postby wavaviary » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:18 pm

Dear Adec,

I have already been taking CoQ10, 100 mg, and recently increased to 200 mg. I will check out your other suggestions.

Thanks so much!
wavaviary

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs