Lipitor Ads Spark Congressional Probe

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Postby adec » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:05 am

Friday, January 11, 2008
*http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4109992&page=1

A kindly "doctor," Robert Jarvik, inventor of the artificial heart, tells viewers about the benefits of Lipitor, the cholesterol-lowering medication. The ubiquitous commercial, along with previous ads, helped make Lipitor the best-selling drug in the world, with almost $13 billion in sales in 2006. A congressional subcommittee is investigating celebrity endorsements in direct-to-consumer drug ads, including Lipitor's ads featuring Robert Jarvik, inventor of the artificial heart.
adec

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:42 pm

I mute him out every time he comes on! Can't stand to even look at him. Sometimes I even change channels. From one who has suffered from the drug he is advertising, I have NO respect for him doing that commercial. Never have likes his commercials! Let's hope they nail him and get him off the air.
Cat Mom2

Did you see his interview on GMA

Postby rockingrammy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:07 pm

Diane Sawyer interviewed Jarvik on GMA Wednesday morning regarding the ads. Jarvik said he began doing the ads before he ever took the first pill. He claimed he had high cholesterol but had not taken a drug for it. He says he believes in the ads and finds nothing wrong with them. Sawyer called him on his being called a doctor in the ad even though he is a researcher and not a physician, a distinction many people don't realize. Jarvik admitted he couldn't write prescriptions. Jarvik said there was no misleading going on when he was referred to as a doctor.
rockingrammy

Postby carbuffmom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:09 pm

The congressman who is investigating the Jarvik debacle is from our district. I am composing a huge letter to Bart Stupak giving him loads of other problems caused from statin use. I will include this website and that of Dr. Golomb along with other articles that I have compiled. He is a real go-getter and I am certain that he will respond to my email. I will keep you posted. DEB
carbuffmom

I would be interested in the outcome.

Postby rockingrammy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:28 pm

My husband has been on lipitor since 1999 in addition to 2000 mg of niaspan. He is experiencing headaches and muscle pain, weakness and I believe depression.
rockingrammy

Postby Dee » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:59 pm

Deb,

Good for you in making that contact with Bart Stupak.

As a point of interest, I spoke with a statin victim that testified in front of the Senate Finance committe. Senator Charles Grassley is chairman of that committee, and does not think much of the FDA and drug companies. He is my Rep here in Iowa. The Finance committee would be interested because of the social tax payer funded expense statins are causing.

I looked up Bart, and see he is a Democrat, while Grassley is Republican. I still think it would be a good idea for you to include Grassley in your contact, and see if they could work together on the statin issue.

Here is his contact site:

*http://grassley.senate.gov/public/

He is in Iowa now, doing his annual visits to several areas. Unfortunately he did not visit anywhere near me yet. I will keep an eye out, and when he comes to my area, I will try to go see him personally.

Thanks for your efforts, Deb!
Dee

Postby carbuffmom » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:25 pm

Dee:

I will include your info as well. Hopefully we can get some results. Thanks for passing the info on to me. Here's to a better 2008!

DEB
carbuffmom

Postby SusieO » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:03 pm

Mr. Jarvik needs to realize how many of us turn the channel or get sick to our stomach each time his endorsement for Lipitor is played on TV.

Deb THANKS for sending this information to your congressman! :)
SusieO

Postby carbuffmom » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:59 am

I sent an email to Congressman Stupak and also composed a letter with copies of websites and articles that I thought might help him. I am pretty sure he will respond. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Deb
carbuffmom

Postby harley2ride » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:59 am

Is it just me, or didn't Jarvik used to do the Crestor commercials. How could he say a year or so ago, that Crestor was the best, and now all of a sudden, it is Lipitor.. What a lying sack of shit...
harley2ride

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs