Niacin

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Niacin

Postby indyscowboy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:43 am

I'd be interested in hearing about opinions and experiences with Niacin. From what I have access to it is suppose to enlarge vessels, raise HDL, and lower LDS and Triglycerides. I have seen non-flush niacin on the shelf but read that a flush although not enjoyable is desirable.
Thanks in advance,
Indy
indyscowboy

Postby catspajamas » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:50 pm

I had good luck with Non flushable niacin, combined with policosanol and omega 3's....just took one niacin a day...took a year but my total cho came down from 310 to 229.....a old retired doctor told me about the niacin...he said thats what they used in the "olden" days....it does work but slowly and you have to watch your diet and get some exercise...
catspajamas

Postby adec » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:49 am

Niacin is very beneficial, at 250-500mg daily. I also really like astaxanthin (2-4mg daily), perhaps even better.

Niacin and astaxanthin are both substances that significantly raise HDL, increase cholesterol particle size, and lower triglycerides. These are far more important considerations toward mortality than any other cholesterol sub-factor, especially LDL and Total Cholesterol, which are both a joke. Although, astaxanthin has the additional benefit of decreasing oxidized cholesterol as the world's foremost anti-oxidant.... and without any flush. Even if the flushing is very good for you, in moderation. :)
adec

Postby indyscowboy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:52 pm

Should a person take Niacin and astaxanthin at the same time or should it be tried one or the other? I'm not finding the astaxanthin locally, where is a good place to get it?
Thanks
Indy
indyscowboy

Postby SusieO » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:18 pm

I have to really limit the amount of Niacin I take. No way can my body tolerate a Niacin capsule of any kind. Many of the other supplements I take have some Niacin in them, so my wellness doctor said I am getting enough.

It took me a few weeks to figure out what was causing my muscle weakness to return and it was the Niacin capsules. Then, a month later my doc had upp'ed another supplement and we forgot it contained Niacin so I had another weakness episode, but I remember what the cause was just after a few days and went back to the regular dosage and I was fine.

Statins have really done a number on my body, but as long as I now am aware of what is in the supplements I am doing really well.
SusieO

Postby indyscowboy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:02 pm

I didn't know Niacin would cause muscle weakness. I'd read about flushing and that a diabetic may have more problems managing sugar. I do cardio and lift weights 6 days a week so I'll have to watch for that.
indyscowboy

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs