Zocor and increasing muscle weakness

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Postby tyyosh » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:52 pm

Thank you, Brooks.

Maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but the problem seemed to be that when the muscles got weak 10 days ago, the sphincter muscle also got weak. So now there is always an opening between the stomach contents and esophagus. I can taste it all the time. Even when sleeping in a chair, it opens wide and liquid comes up when I fall asleep.

I have heard it was good to eat soft foods to baby it, but if the problem is foundational muscle weakness, then I am not sure how it will fix itself except for maybe CoQ10 reviving it along with the other muscles. Does that mean foods like very soft Japanese rice, oat bran, and plain yogurt (currently the staples of this no-fun diet) would cause issues?

Ty
tyyosh

Postby Darrell » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:57 pm

As I understand it, sugar and carbs are what my Zocor-damaged muscles are best fueled-on since Zocor has damaged the fat-metabolism process in the mitochondria. I cut back on sugar to lose weight, but I feel better consuming carbs in moderation and spreading them over the day when I have my more-physically-active days.
Darrell

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:07 pm

Ty: Instead of rice or oat bran try a soft boiled egg with a little butter. Yogurt is good for bacteriological balance in the gut, still, I would try doing without it for a while just to see if it is a contributor. When I was having the worst time, any liquid dairy product would give me heartburn - including yogurt. All I can tell you is what, from my experience, caused heartburn and how I avoided it. And, boy do I connect with the CHAIR! I slept in a recliner for months off and on, but not any longer. Understand, I can't speak to your particular problem other than in direct relation to my own. My advice is to try low or NO carbs for a few days and see how that effects your GERD. It means steak and broccoli instead of steak and potatoes, no toast with your eggs, no beer, and no sugar in your coffee, etc.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Allen1 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:00 am

Hi there Ty,

I suffer from major heartburn problems and take a ZOTON (lansoprazole 30mg) capsule every morning and it works great all day. At night time I sometimes suffer from acid reflux, the fluid foams up and even seems to get to my lungs at times, that is at its worst. I have found that drinking Apple Cider vinegar with water can controll it, ie 2 tablespoons of vinegar and 2 of water, you may need to adjust the strength to suit your needs. You can also add Bicarbonate of soda 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon to it as it is meant to adjust your electrolytes so I read.

I have also accidently found out that Branston Silverskin Pickled Onions do the same thing (they were on offer so I got some), I had some with a snack and they worked a treat.

Watching what you consume is as everyone has pointed out an important issue when you have GERD and what I have said sounds unrealistic but it has saved me a lot of pain and a lot of money on heartburn tablets that will not calm the acid. Give it a go, you have nothing to lose but your lunch (in this case).

You can also use other types of vinegar and probably pickled onions etc and get the same effect, I have used malt vinegar and water and it worked for me just as well as the cider vinegar, I have also added the bicarbonate of soda and it also worked, lastly Bicarbonate of soda and water will also work at times.

Apart from the pickled onions the rest of the advice about vinegar and bicarbonate of soda was gained from trawling the internet.

I though that the advice was dubious when I first read it, but I am pleased that I gave it a try, it is best to take a drink before it starts if you can ok.
Allen1

Postby tyyosh » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:31 pm

Thanks guys,
This seems tougher than anything I have read about so far though. The issue is not about what I eat or don't eat, it's that the muscle does not ever seem to close, and it opens wide when I go to sleep. There could be anything or nothing eaten, and whatever liquid is in the stomach is still coming up. When awake, I can bend over or lie down and liquid will come out. Maybe this is some kind of internal muscle weakness related to the statins, but I hope it is simpler than that. I am getting scoped tomorrow and hoping for answers. I will also try your suggestions, though.

Ty
tyyosh

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:44 am

Ty: Although I have heard of this problem, I have not experienced it personally; so, I can't offer any help with the esophageal muscle issue, sorry. I do know it is addressable with relatively non-invasive surgery. I know this must be a difficult time for you, and I hope the Dr visit offers you some hope/help.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Previous

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs