Sleep Disorder

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Sleep Disorder

Postby uncle2blade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:00 am

the past three nights have been a little unsettling. As I fall asleep I wakeup hyperventilating, and it continues throughout the night. I havent had a good nights sleep in three days. I've been off statins nine months now,everything seemed to be resolving it self untill this came along. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Or maybe it's not related to my recovery at all. I really haven't had any sleep problems untill now.

Thanks to all, Craig
uncle2blade

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:20 am

Craig: Not sure what you mean by hyperventilating. I had, until recently, been feeling short of breath (as though I had been holding it) and sprung awake gasping as I began to drift off . That has gone away with time, and I attribute the cause entirely to Statin drugs (Lipitor/Zocor). My PCP actually sent me for a sleep apnea test, which I failed. I also found, while I was having the problem, that If I inclined my head and shoulders with pillows or slept in a recliner, the problem eased significantly.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:27 am

Craig: I forgot to mention one thing: This is conjecture since I can't prove it, but I believe the problem is with the muscle structure of the throat/larynx and Statin's negative effect on the mitochondria/musculature. As my muscle quality and tone have begun to improve, I have lost the night breathing problems.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby uncle2blade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:53 pm

Thanks, Brooks that sounds just like what I've been experiencing. By the way I just got back from the gym, first time sence Feb. kept it light. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks again, Craig
uncle2blade

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:57 pm

Good luck with the exercise, Craig. I now manage to make it three times a week, often at my wife's insistance; bless her, and I don't crash anymore. It has made a BIG difference in my overall state of well-being. I'm still around 245 though and would like to get down to 220 at least. I guess, since the cells (with damaged mitochondria) couldn't use the fuel I supplied, it was simply stored as fat, and I think losing the pith, which I'm certain is embedded, is going to take some time. AND, though I never 'said' it in my last response, the "gasping" thing went thru the night; not just as I was dropping off to sleep. Hope you are feeling better shortly.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby uncle2blade » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:26 pm

Brooks, No crash after my workout yesterday. I'm going to try again tomarrow. Still no sleep, see how that goes tonight.

Thanks for the support, Craig
uncle2blade

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:33 pm

While on statins my throat would feel like it would slam shut as I dropped off to sleep.. I had forgot about this until I saw this thread.. Hasn't happened SINCE I quit them! And I use to wake up like my air supply had gone.... gasping and breathing hard like I had been running a marathon
Cat Mom2

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs