inform the public

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

inform the public

Postby David Staup » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:23 pm

I have just recently joined this forum having been a victom for the last 6 years. My first emotion was rage at the proposal to make these drugs available over the counter. My first clear thought after the rage was that I must somehow stop that.
to that end I have several ideas and believe it can be done but have some fears on the unintended consequences. what do you all think about the following.

1. With the political situation being what it is here in the states I believe that if presented correctly to John Edwards he would gladly use it as a club to take on big business, the healthcare system, and all administrations involved in the coverup. This I call the Evil option.

2. the grassroots method involves contacting the right people at all major insurance companies, major corporations that are self insured and/or have a large retiree base, large church groups, large pharmacy chains, etc, etc. I believe we could get the carriers to require a waiver signed by both doctor and patient before paying for any statin. My wife presented the information from this site to the outfit that handles the insurance for the company I work for and they will begin requiring these waivers as soon as the paperwork makes the normal rounds. I believe that this could be done on a massive scale if we get organised

David
David Staup

Postby catspajamas » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:09 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me...would really take some organizing though...The insurance companies should lead the attack....
catspajamas

inform the public

Postby David Staup » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:49 pm

well maybe not that much organization. I was thinking of having a powerpoint presentation made up or maybe hire a media consultant and make a video. If presented to the right people in just one or two of the majors we might just be home free as everyone else will scramble to follow suit...maybe
what we need to do is let this percolate here and see how this idea is refined and who volunteers for what. :wink:
David Staup

Postby Dee » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:11 am

Hi David,

Congrats to your wife, that is a great accomplishment.

I suppose awareness would be accomplished the fastest by looking at what groups are most likely prescribed statins. AARP has a large readership of just that type of population. They also have a powerful lobby in effect in Washington, and they may cooridate well with Edwards.

Consumer Reports was very active in the recent prescription drug reform action.

Dee
Dee

Postby David Staup » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:13 pm

Dee
I've been thinking more about AARP and Edwards might be exactly right.
We've already approached Bill Oreily and are waiting for them to finish investigating this, If they won't take it on then aarp/edwards gets a shot.

I believe it's been more than 2 weeks since we contacted and they haven't gotten back to us yet with a negative, I think that's a good sign

Dave
David Staup

Postby Dee » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:06 pm

Hi David,

Please let us know if you hear back from Bill Oreilly. Don't be surprised if you either don't hear anything, or get a canned auto response. Don't get discouraged.

I see there are now two identical threads on your topic, hopefully we can all follow along.

There are many folks here with extensive information that I KNOW can be of great help in your quest to expose the statin issue. Hopefully we can gather all our frustrations into something constructive and proactive.

This is my vision:

I see a magot on the sidewalk (Statin drug industry), WE are the magnifying glass that focues the sun (the TRUTH) on the magot....and fry it to a crisp...:)
Dee

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:49 pm

The company I work for is on this "wellness" kick and plan meetings where we are required to have our weight, cholesterol and sugar checked. A lot are required to pass a very tough phyical every so many years. I have told my company how I feel about the cholesterol scam and about the damage they have done to me and many others.. Now they think I am crazy... I am sooooo looking forwards to the next "wellness screening"....

If they only knew what this one drug actually is costing them! Far more than they think! Once that can of worms gets opened, I don't think very many insurance companies are going to pay for statins.
Cat Mom2

Postby catspajamas » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:45 pm

I recently applied for a small life insurance policy The company policy writer has called me twice about the periferal neurapathy I have. The last time, I explained how zocor damaged the nerves in my feet...Her response?.....You too?? ...We visitied awhile and she said during her investigaing and talking to people she has run across a lot of people with muscle damage,pn and general nerve damages....Is this going to keep one from getting insurance?.....So it seems some insurance people are already aware of statins damages...wouldn't it be wonderful if they lobbied for taking statins off the market???wow...
catspajamas

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:55 pm

Ha! It is coming.... it IS coming! Once the insurance companies realize the purchase price of a statin is JUST the beginning of that they are going to have to put out...

The doctors visits, the tests and tests and tests that never show anything, the other drugs they have to pay for to cover up the side effects.. We are nowhere near that point yet but it will come!
Cat Mom2

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs