Why are my cholesterol levels rising at such a great rate?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Good news

Postby haleybugs » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:21 pm

Well, I refused to take the drugs that my doctor suggested. I decided to take the CoQ10 and a multi-vitamin. I am exercising and following a diabetic diet. It is working great. I have lost 15 pounds in three weeks and have stopped having tremors at night. I guess because I realized that my doctor was the problem. She scared the life out of me telling me that I was in big trouble because my cholesterol was high and my blood sugar was so high. I think I need to change doctors. My pharmacist is a firm believer in herbal supplements and refuses to take prescription drugs. That's a riot, huh? His mother was on Lipitor and she had horrible side effects as I did. He said she would not be doing anything without his approval again. I got my cholesterol and blood sugar checked by an independent screening company today and my cholesterol is 235 and blood sugar is 105. I am hoping against hope that it is not a mistake. I want to win big in this battle. Thanks for your support.
haleybugs

Re: Cinnamon extract

Postby Dee » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:07 pm

[quote="haleybugs"] I tried the Omega3 Fish Oil once. I took one pill of 1000 mg. and ended up in the ER with tremors over my entire body. I learned later that it is considered a statin by the University of California/San Diego statin study. drugs. [/quote]

Really? I know red yeast rice is considered a statin, but Omega 3 Fish Oil? Fish oil is an "alternative" to statins, can you explain how it would actually be a statin? It would be great if you could post a link, Thanks!!! Dee
Dee

Omega3 Fish Oil

Postby haleybugs » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:07 pm

Dee, All I can tell you is that on the statin study I took with the University of California/San Diego, the front of the page listed statins and Omega3 Fish Oil was on the list as a statin. I know it is hard to believe because I thought it was a supplement and was totally safe, but I was convinced after the reaction I had. Check out "Stain Study, University of California/San Diego" on the net and see if you find something. I guess taking 1000 mg. was too much for me. But after everything I have been through, I would think a flouride toothpaste would hurt me!
haleybugs

Postby tex62 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:19 pm

In the USCD Statin Study Cholesterol Drugs and Adverse Events Study Questionnaire, there is an asterisked footnote describing Statins. The footnote is below. Last on the list is Omega-3 fatty acid. I don’t understand this as I can find nothing that indicates that Omega-3 is a statin. Maybe I’m reading this wrong or possibly someone else can explain this.

Statins, a class of cholesterol-lowering medications, include: Lipitor (atorvastatin), Zocor (simvastatin), Pravachol (pravastatin), Mevacor (lovastatin), Lescol (fluvastatin), Baycol (cerivastatin), Crestor (rosuvastatin). Other cholesterol drugs include, among others, Cholestyramine (Cholybar, Questran, Questran Light, Prevalite, LoCHOLEST, LoCHOLEST Light); Colesevelam (WelChol); Colestipol (Colestid, Colestid Flavored); Gemfibrozil (Lobid, Lipidil Micro); Clofibrate (Atromid-S); Fenofibrate (Tricor); Advicor (Lovastatin + Niacin); Pravigard (Pravastatin + Buffered Aspirin); Omega-3 fatty acid (fish oil: Promega, Cardio-Omega 3, Sea-Omega, Marine Lipid Concentrate, Super EPA1200).
tex62

Postby Dee » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:06 pm

Thanks, Tex.

It is just poorly worded and organized, it does not say Omega 3 Fish Oil is a statin, but is on the list of "other cholesterol drugs" which includes non-statin drug/statin drug combos as well as non statin cholesterol drugs. I can see where this could cause some confusion.
Dee

Postby Dee » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:25 pm

haleybugs,
It seems we have concluded that Fish Oil is not a statin, but you still may have had a reaction to it. I wonder if there was anything else you may have taken/eaten around the same time that you could have reacted to? Fish oil is suppose to be very good for you, it's a shame if you can't take it.

Also, about cinnamon...I take 2 - 500 mg capsules of dry cinnamon once a day at supper time, (Rexall brand) that we got at Wal-mart or Kmart. I am Type 2 diabetic on insulin (Lantus and Novo-log) and I have to really watch for hypoglycemia as the cinnamon really helps with post prandial blood sugar control. I have been able to lower my insulin dose when on cinnamon. Dee
Dee

Cinnamon

Postby haleybugs » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:14 pm

Dee, Yes, thank you. I was told to take cinnamon too. I have been doing that. According to the emergency room doctor, I had no ill effects from the fish oil tablet and my blood panels were all good. They checked to see if I had a heart attack because of the severe tremors and I didn't. My kidneys and liver tests were all clear. That was such a relief. I believe now that my tremors are caused from anxiety. I have a general anxiety disorder and have had for years. I think the effects of the Lipitor on my mind made me think that any pill I took may cause side effects similar to Lipitor. I even had tremors when my doctor told me that I would have to go on Metformin and WelChol after I refused to take Crestor. The last two nights I have not had tremors and believe that it was from my doctor's associate telling me that I did not have to take the drugs. I could try diet and exercise. I have succeeded in losing weight and exercising and would love to prove them wrong on the drugs. My quality of life is more important than being mentally and emotionally disabled. Thanks for caring and for your information. Best of luck to you.
haleybugs

Postby Dee » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:12 pm

haleybugs, you are welcome:)

I think you are doing all the right things. Here are some random thoughts for you to consider:

Hyperglygemia has been listed as an adverse effect of statins. When I was on a statin (Pravachol) even on insulin I got to the point where I could not get my A1c below 10. Now it is 6.5 - 7.5 range.

Do get a blood glucose meter...Wal-mart used to have a really cheap ($20? or so) one that was suppose to work very well. Don't worry so much about the A1c, that is a long term average test. If you keep your sugars in the normal range day to day, the A1c will be good too. Test alot at first and keep a record.

The weight loss is good...don't know how much you need to lose, but many people have reversed diabetes and maintained normal blood sugars with weight loss alone.

Exercise...good in any form. Just getting up after a meal and doing dishes or a load of laundry will help, anything where you are moving about.

While your A1c of 6.3 would probably get you DX with diabetes, the 104 fasting sugar should not be a worry....I think fasting 110-125 is pre-diabetes and over 126 is diabetes.

You are right to avoid the drugs, I have taken about all of them. I won't go into all the boring details, but if I had it to do over again I would go straight on insulin, get the sugars under control, and work on losing weight, then get off the insulin. Many of the diabetic drugs make your pancreas pump out more insulin, but it is thought that it wears your pancreas out in the long run so you need insulin in the end anyway. Metformin does not act that way, but I was among the 10% that cannot tolerate it, it made me feel just awful beyond the wonderful intestinal problems that are "normal" with it.

Consider low-carbing, not as extreme as Atkins, but maybe the Zone as a guideline. Basically, like someone else said, avoid white foods. I would add "good" fats and protein and high fiber-low carb veggies.

Statins should be outlawed for diabetics as far as I'm concerned. I have been unable to walk without a cane for 5 years, and often need a wheelchair, so all the statin did was take away my ability to control diabetes with exercise. I am 48.

Hope this helps you in some way, I wish I could go back in time and do everything different, especially NOT taking the statin, it ruined my life. Dee
Dee

good advice

Postby haleybugs » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:36 pm

Dee, Thanks so much, again, for your advice. You have really inspired me to keep working hard. I am on the "Diabetic Diet" which is exactly what you said to do. It is great. I only have 20 more pounds to lose before I am well within the desired BMI range. I have always walked but with the Lipitor, I could only walk to the couch and there I would stay unless I was going to get a greasy hamburger and fries. I had an obsession with high fat foods while on Lipitor. I have since learned that it is quite common. I am walking 20 minutes a day and doing 20 minutes of floor exercises. What did you mean when you said "DX"? I am so sorry that you have had such a terrible time since going off the Pravachol. My muscles ache but nothing like you are going through. I hope that you can find some real help and have a better life for yourself. I feel terrible complaining about my situation but I am very glad to have been able to correspond with you. Thank you.
haleybugs

Postby Dee » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:57 pm

haleybugs, DX is short for diagnosis. I hope your blood sugar problem will resolve after some time off the Lipitor. I know that people with serious illness often develop temporary high blood sugar (it has happened to several folks that I know that were not even on a statin) so the stress of what Lipitor was doing to your body may be the trouble. Dee
Dee

temporary high blood sugar

Postby haleybugs » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:05 pm

Yes, I agree about the temporary high blood sugar. I have heard the same thing. Thank God for this life line or I would be in big trouble. I know that all my lipid levels and blood sugar will go back to normal. My doctor insists that the Lipitor was out of my system within five days of stopping it. I laughed.
haleybugs

Postby Dee » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:32 pm

Technically your doctor may be right....but what doctors don't get is that statins are the "gift" that keeps on giving, with residual effects apparently permanent for some of us. The doctor that told me to quit Pravachol said I would be feeling better in 2 weeks....that was 2 years and 7 months ago.
Dee

Postby adec » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:42 am

It almost sounds like a truly bad episode of the Twilight Zone. Trusted doctors dispensing drugs as if they were M&Ms, drug that sap the very life out of their patients. Almost like they're trying to assimilate a group of mindless zombies. And the scary part is these perfectly healthy patients are paying for their own lobotomies. They're paying for these services with their very lives.

My mom suffered greatly from statins: amnesia, forgetfulness, tremors, profound muscle aches, hearing loss, visual impairments. My aunt too suffered greatly: arthritis, hairloss, ruptured discs, fibromyalgia. Perfectly healthy people developing mystery illnesses, almost overnight. However, all of these symptoms have slowly abated themselves simply with: a discontinuation of statins, and an increase supplementation such as CoQ10. In some cases, the turnaround has been dramatic in contrast, over a very short period.

Best thing I ever did was demand my mom and my aunt stop taking statin drugs, in helping them reclaim their lives. Don't give up the fight!
adec

Stain damage

Postby haleybugs » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:00 pm

Dear adec, Yes, I agree. I told my mom to stop taking Pravachol. She is a new person now. So bright and cheery. She was concerned about the quality of her life on drugs. I told her it was not worth it. I am not going to let someone dictate my life again and get me into such a funk that I don't know if I am coming or going! I am in control of my own body and destiny and I don't care how "aggressive" you are on controlling cholesterol, I will decide how I am going to proceed with the care of my body. I filed a report with MedWatch (FDA) and wrote to my congressman. He just wrote back and seemed genuinely interested in my concerns. Taking baby steps.
haleybugs

Postby adec » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:25 pm

I hope the baby will mature one day into adolescence, and eventually adulthood. I try to explain to both my mom and aunt, the fight against your doctor and pharmaceuticals has ended. But the battle against your own body, to reclaim it, has only just begun.
adec

therapist

Postby haleybugs » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:12 am

Anyone out there happen to go to a therapist for the neuropathy caused by Lipitor? My tremors have stopped but I still have problems with the dark and loud noises. I don't want to get into something that will traumatize me even more but don't want to turn down the opportunity for help if I can get it. I am improving more and more every day and don't want to disrupt it. I am afraid the tremors will come back! Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
haleybugs

therapist

Postby haleybugs » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:56 pm

Okay, I take that back. I have cancelled the appointment with the therapist. I have decided that I have done everything else on my own, I may as well take care of my mental health too. I have taken the vitamins and CoQ10 that was suggested and I feel great. I can honestly say that I feel as close to the way I used to feel as possible. I am so much wiser and more cynical but that saved my life. I hope for the best to you, Dee, and thank you for being so helpful. Thanks also to the staff for helping me tremendously and everyone else who wrote to try to help in any way they could. Be sure to write to your Congressman and the FDA and file a MedWatch report on Lipitor or whatever nasty statin you took. Best of luck to everyone.
haleybugs

Postby Dee » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:37 pm

Haleybugs, I'm not sure you are having a mental problem, but rather adverse effects that have been caused by Lipitor damage manifesting itself as mental issues. Also, we can develop other problems in addition to statin damage and they can be hard to sort out as to what caused this and that.

A therapist may not be what you should see, but maybe a neurologist for starters?

Not sure if you have run across this in your quest for answers but there is a lawyer in New York taking on LIPITOR cases from all over the country and he may have some ideas or know of a good doctor that others are using to find help. Take a look at this:

http://www.krumlaw.com/press.html
Dee

mental issues from Lipitor

Postby haleybugs » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:59 pm

Dee, I did see that article and filled out the online paperwork but didn't call the office. My husband insists I do that soon. I was trying so hard to get a grip on myself first before getting back into all the emotions of it. I am so furious at my first Internist for not checking out all the sites about Lipitor's side effects but I am told that they are innocent because they don't have time to read everything there is to know about drugs. I think that is a cop out. I am glad I kept a journal about the weeks following the time that was the worst for me after stopping the Lipitor. I guess that it would be a good idea to pursue this and that way I can finally put it behind me. I will call them in the next couple of days. I know I still have some weaknesses. I came home tonight from dinner and the neighbor's house alarm went off. The sound was so awful to me that I had to turn up the TV to avoid listening to it. I assume that is all a part of the side effects. I am hoping that the B12 and B6 will be sufficient for me to help with the anxiety I still feel in certain situations. I sure don't want to take anything stronger right now. I will think about what you suggested. I will keep in touch with my findings. Thanks again for your support and advice.
haleybugs

See the light

Postby haleybugs » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:12 am

Dee, I just wanted to tell you that my mental and emotional outlook has improved tremendously. I think most of the side effects are gone now. I don't seem to have the phobias I once had and can handle most situations with ease. I think the vitamins have helped a lot but mostly your inspiring words. You reached out to me when no one else would or could. My family has been great but they didn't experience what you and I did so the connection was different in that respect. I will get another independent cholesterol and sugar check on Monday and hope and pray the numbers are back to normal. I see the doctor the following Wednesday and hope to give her some insight into what a doctor SHOULD do in these cases instead of throwing drugs at them and scaring them to death in an already tender mental and emotional state. I do believe that somehow the metabolic trauma passed and food is now something I look forward to instead of being benign to and my weight loss and energy level has proven that I am coming out of the dark tunnel and seeing the light in the first time since the summer. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your sticking with me. You did more than any physcotherapist could have done. I will let you know about the new blood panels. I hope you are doing okay and pray for your complete recovery.
haleybugs

Previous

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs