CRESTOR 1 YR OFF. STILL IN PAIN

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

CRESTOR 1 YR OFF. STILL IN PAIN

Postby rudy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:34 pm

49 yrs. old , 25 days on 10mg. crestor, pain all over, hard time walking, can not work full time, 1 Yr latter, many tests, tried lots of meds, med bills, drug costs, Still in pain,on high blood pressure pills,gout meds,pain pills,all these tests are negitive,emg,mri,xrays, several blood tests. Neurologists,Rheumatologists, What else can i try?
rudy

Reply for Rudy

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:46 pm

Hi Rudy & Welcome to the Forum,

Have your doctors checked your CK or CPK levels?
Done a muscle biopsy?
CK or CPK levels can be normal, but there is still muscle damage. The muscle biopsy can confirm muscle damage. For more info from Dr Paul Phillips of Scripps Mercy Hosp in San Diego, CA: [http://www.impostertrial.com/physician.htm]

Are you taking CoQ10 and either L-Carnitine or Acetyl L-Carnitine?

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby harley2ride » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:31 am

Hi Rudy,
I've been off statins for 3 years and I'm still having problems. But my case MAY be a bit different, as my doctors believe that the statins caused or aggrivated an inherited Mitochondrial flaw, and now I have Mitochondrial Myopathy ( a form of muscular distrophy). Good luck and hope you get well soon.
harley2ride

mitochondrial myopathies

Postby harneyn » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:47 pm

Harley to ride...
How do you feel about this diagnosis? Has any therapy been suggested. I know you have a full range of products you are taking?

There was a link to a current trial - would not suggest this to anyone! My problems began with four 20 Mg simvastin!

[http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00285181;jsessionid=0CB0612B76B08937E9172D3A7C5DB165?order=3]

Ann
harneyn

Postby Darrell » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:53 pm

An eight week study. If they change that to eight months there's a much higher chance that some of their healthy male subjects will get unhealthy and damage the statin business.
Darrell

Only took four days for me

Postby harneyn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:19 am

to be affected!

Darrell, what amount of COQ10 do you take? How often?

Do you think that aids the L-Carnitine?

A..
harneyn

Postby Darrell » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:06 pm

My Q10: 200 mg in the morning and 200 mg in the late afternoon. I've considered dropping the afternoon dose but have not done that yet. Aids L-Carnitine? No, probably not. I take Q10 because it helped early-on so I figure I may be low, even without statins.

I think L-Carnitine supplementation may be fairly specific in addressing certain types of mitochondrial damage in skeletal muscle. Q10, on the other hand, is perhaps beneficial to overall health.
Darrell

Carnitine and Q10

Postby Ray Holder » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:16 pm

The best paper I have seen on Carnitine deficiency is one by Fernando Scaglia and he advocates the use of Q10 as well as carnitine, among other substances, to improve carnitine levels.

Q10 deficiency is the main cause of all statin problems, its deficiency is probably the cause of reduced carnitine production. I think it would be wise to keep up a reasonable amount of Q10, because many of the effects of a shortage are similar to early ageing and likely to be written as "I'm getting older"

Ray
Ray Holder

Dosage of CoQ10 & L-Carnitine

Postby harneyn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:07 pm

Ray,

What do you think is a reasonable dosage on CoQ10?
Read where it may lower blood pressure.... and one should take Vit C with it?

Anyone had the muscle biopsy?

Does heat help - a hot tub soak or perhaps a heating pad? I am using a heating pad, but I think it is just a temporary feel good thing. Even temporary is good!

Wonder if massage therapy might help?

Thanks!
A..
harneyn

Q10 dose

Postby Ray Holder » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:01 pm

Dr Langsjoen recommended that I should take 200 mg of Q10 a day, but that was when I first started it. My case is a bit unusual as I have a form of heart failure due to Q10 deficiency and I now need 600 mg a day, split into 3 doses, or I get bad angina.

As for blood pressure, I keep my BP at a satisfactory level with Q10 and daily isosorbide mononitrate which keeps the blood vessels dilated, necessary as my BP goes up when concentrating fully on the phone, the computer, or watching an interesting TV programme!! However, if you are taking BP tablets, watch that the Q10, in bringing your BP down to normal, does not add to the effect of the medication, you may well need to reduce your prescription drug. I take my own BP twice daily and keep a close watch on it and on my medication needs.

I don't know enough about Vit C to advise you, but vit E is included in my Q10 capsules.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby catspajamas » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:18 pm

I was on zocor 4 years...I have been off of it since 2002...I still have nerve pain in my feet..that I have to take lyrica for....I am hoping it will get better but afraid the nerve damage zocor caused may be permanent. :x
catspajamas

Grasping at straws on leg mluscle pain

Postby harneyn » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:21 pm

Decided to try some new directions. Joined the YMCA - yes, they admit females!

Tried some light water exercises and some time in the hot tub today. Legs felt good, but I was overcome with fatigue the rest of the day. These trade offs are not pleasing!

Has anyone tried acupuncture?

Thanks!
Ann
harneyn

Postby starfish » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:12 am

Hi Harneyn. I tried acupuncture from 2 different docs to help relieve the muscle pain, cramps, and burning nerve pain. It may work for some people, but I had a bad reaction. The acupuncture needle was connected to a machine that produces a 7 second electrical stimulation with each needle poke. The actual procedure was tolerable, but I had severely increased pain (especially burning pain) afterwards. My myelin test showed extreme demyelination of my nerves. I think that’s why I had so much pain. Maybe you’ll have better luck. Just be careful.
starfish

Acupuncture

Postby harneyn » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:18 am

Thanks for the reply...

I never pictured a machine doing acupuncture! Imagined that it was done one by each.

Reminds me of a PT session where the young man left the room while I was attached to a machine pulling on my head and neck. Did not go back there!!

A..
harneyn

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs