How can four x 20 MG tablets of Zocor cause such distress?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

How can four x 20 MG tablets of Zocor cause such distress?

Postby harneyn » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:40 pm

What is it in a statin drug that can cause such long lasting muscle effects?

Why does it not go away? Does it not flush from the body?

My leg muscle pain started 12 hours after the first dose. The pain migrated up the legs and hips. Stopped the meds. The MD office did not return my call. My leg muscles were hard as rocks, and my legs heavy. Tiring to drag the legs around.

Upon going to the MD office three days later for a flu shot I asked to see the nurse. She immediatley asked if I had four symptoms... obviously knew the reactions!

CD blood work was normal..
I was given muscle relaxants.. no help.

Put on 40 MG of Prednisone for five days, then to 20 MG. The med did relieve some of the muscle tension. On the 6th day, 20 MG of Prednisone, the tension and weight returned.

Referred to a Neurologist. Blood work still out. He did say he would not take statins with muscle pain... two other MD's said that I 'must' take statins.

Back to 40 MG of prednisone for ten days ... some relief, but I am very tired and distended!

I am taking CoQ10, 200 MG x 3, and L-Carnitine 500 Mg x 3. There seems to be some relief, but it does not last more than four hours. Four hours x 3x = 12 hours. My day is longer than that.

If one took more of the two above would the relief last longer? How late in the day? Darrell mentioned not to take it at night.

How can four pills change a life?
I am S-O-O frustrated!

Ann
harneyn

Postby Darrell » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:36 pm

In my case, 500 mg of L-Carnitine lasts a little under four hours with normal activity. 1,000 mg seems to last a little less than twice as long. I take 2,500 mg on a busy day -- 1,000 with breakfast, 1,000 with lunch, and 500 with dinner.

Some people have mentioned potential sleep problems taking it before bed time. I see no point in taking it before bed time because my damaged leg muscles don't move much at night.

Okay, those are my routines. I then adjust according to anticipated activity. For example, if I'm going to be sitting at my desk all morning I'll just take 500 mg with breakfast. If I'm going to be doing heavy-duty yard work all morning I may take 1,500 mg with breakfast.

Also, I always keep some extra in a pill container on my key chain because every now and then plans change or I slip up and forget to bring my lunchtime dose.

It's a pain, but it's better than leg pain.
Darrell

Thanks..

Postby harneyn » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:58 pm

I will try more on the 'morrow.
A..
harneyn

Legs better - Dosage of L-Carnitine

Postby harneyn » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:54 pm

Tried the 1000 mg of L-C Wednesday afternoon... seemed to be a bit much. Cannot explain it - feeling weird.

Yesterday I tried 750 mg x 3 and I fell asleep at 1pm... dead to the world. Good thing I am self-employed! Otherwise I felt fine - legs hurt less. This was with CoQ10 200 mg x 3.

Today my legs do not hurt!

However I am overcome with extreme fatigue!
As L-Carnitine is given to alleviate fatigue, I cannot think it is that. Perhaps the Prednisone... still taking that.

On October 1st this year I was fine. Four Zocor 20 mg tabs x 4 days has changed my life!

A..
harneyn

Postby bunnylady » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:44 am

I took 3 X10mg of Crestor and it changed my life- I am much better today but I was just like you- keep taking the things you are taking - and I upped my CoQ10 to 1,000 mg pills- so I just take 1- I quit taking them for a while and my urine changed to apple cider vinegar again- on day 3 of retaking the CoQ10 my urine is normal- I think I need to do a liver cleanse

I have the sample pack of crestor with 3 empty spots in it- I look at it and it seems unbelievable those 3 pills did this to me
bunnylady

Postby catspajamas » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:25 pm

Within 2 weeks of me stopping zocor my muscles felt better and the fatigue went away without any supplements...but the nerve damage in my feet stayed...If you are still on a statin...my advice? Get off of it before it starts damaging your nerves like it did me..... :cry:
catspajamas

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs