Trying new supplements from Vitacost

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Trying new supplements from Vitacost

Postby harley2ride » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:34 am

I had previously ordered some COQ10 with Acetyl L-Carnitine from Vitacost, and it seemed to work pretty good. While searching there, I found a supplement called MitoCHPower. I just got them in the mail, so I will report back in a month or so as to how well they seem to be working. It will cut the number of pills I have to take daily to 8 less pills, and it will cost me about 1/2 as much each month to get the doses I was taking previously. I had my doctor with the MDA check out the ingredients, and the supplier, and he thought it would be at good idea to at least try them. If anyone else has any other experiences with vitacost, please let me know. Here is what it includes.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1.00 Capsule
Servings per container: 60.00

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Natural Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol succinate) 200.00 IU 667%

Vitamin B1 (thiamine HCl) 50.00 mg 3,333%

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) 5.00 mg 294%

Vitamin B3 (niacinamide) 50.00 mg 250%

Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine HCl) 20.00 mg 1,000%

Folic Acid (as folacin) 800.00 mcg 200%

Vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) 1.00 mg (1,000.00 mcg) 16,666%

Selenium (selenomethionine) 100.00 mcg 143%

Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate)(ChromeMate®) 100.00 mcg 83%

Coenzyme Q10 200.00 mg *

Acetyl L-Carnitine HCl 130.00 mg *

Alpha Lipoic Acid 100.00 mg *

*Daily value not established.
harley2ride

Supplement

Postby NurseJudy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:27 am

Dear Harley, I run a nutrition business and use whole food supplements from the industry leader who has been published over 12 times in peer reiview journals, 5 times in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. This product has some problems. E has 8 factors. This one has 1, and is combined with a chemical, succinate, which the body has difficulty breaking apart. Taking a single factor blocks the body's ability to abosrb the other ones it needs. The National Cancer Institute has warned that chromium picolinate (metallic form of chromium - not nutritional form) can cause chromosome damage. Most companies use mostly synthetics, which do not perform the same in the body as a real food source. Hope that helps! God bless, Judy
NurseJudy

Postby harley2ride » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:15 pm

Thanks for the info Judy. I already have cellular damage (Mitochondrial Myopathy), so I'm not too worried about that. But I will do some more research with the info you provided. Do you know of any other similar products that you have heard are good. It's already killing me to pay $200.00 a month for my pills. So either the finances will kill me, or the medicine will. At least with the medicine, I will go in less pain. :)

My condition has accellerated so far in the past 2 1/2 years, that my only thoughts right now are to have some time with less pain. With the Lyrica, Nadh, coq10, acyetyl l-carnatine, and welbutrin, I have been having some pretty good days (except for when it gets below 30 degrees out, which has been quite often). I've helped that out by wearing good quality polypro long johns. They have been a godsend. I've cut my coq10 down to 300mg a day, and l-carnatine down to 300mg a day, and everything is holding pretty good right now. Feeling better than I have in the past 2 1/2 years (as long as it is warm out). But just a few minutes in cold weather, and my muscles feel like someone smacked them with a baseball bat, and they continue to hurt for the rest of the day. I hope that statins don't end up giving others this crap... The myopathy was bad enough.
harley2ride

Hello Harley!

Postby NurseJudy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:54 pm

I suppose that is your name! Omega 3's are known to reduce pain and swelling and nourisih nerve tissue. Go to [gnldu.com] for the first 8 factor Omega 3 in the. The other product there of note is Tre-En-En, which was developed from hospital research. It provides cellular energy.

Chromosome damage may lead to cancer.

You may email me your email address and I will let you know what else is available. God bless, Judy

PS I am so sorry you have to go through this!
NurseJudy

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs