New Results

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

New Results

Postby Esmeralda » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:56 pm

Had lipid panel today. Results:

Cholesterol 257
HDL 45
LDL 198
Triglycerides 70

I am very discouraged. I have been taking fish oil and vitamin C for about 6 months now. The doctor gave me samples of Tri-Cor 145 mg. I haven't started them yet. I am reluctant to start the Tri-Cor after the Crestor debacle.

??????
Esmeralda

levels

Postby vipergg22 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:52 pm

Try taking cinnamon capsules , it can reduce your levels up to like 26% and it is a lot safer than prescription drug the dr. is going to throw at you and its like $6 for a months supply . They are done tests over at the US Department of agriculture . For more info read this [http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=8877]
vipergg22

Reply for Esmeralda

Postby sos_group_owner » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:03 pm

Hi Esmeralda,

Re: Cholesterol 257
HDL 45 (very good)
LDL 198 (the question is: Is your LDL oxidized?)
Triglycerides 70 (excellent)

Taking fish oil and vitamin C are not designed to lower cholesterol. They are 2 of several nutritional supplements that control "inflammation".

Did your doctor check your homocysteine levels?
Did your doctor check your thyroid function? (one of the most common causes of elevated LDL, but the least likely identified as the cause)
How are your glucose levels?

All of these are much more important than lowering LDL (the bandaid approach, which does not 'correct' the problem).

Also important ~ Excerpt from an article by Dr Malcolm Kendrick:
"Is Heart Disease All Due to Blood Clots?" - [http://www.thincs.org/Malcolm.htm#clots]
" Things that create "free radicals" and oxidized LDL... Smoking, high blood sugar levels (diabetes), stress... Risk factors that damage the "endothelium" include elevated levels of homocysteine, blood sugar, insulin, cortisol (stress hormones), triglycerides, smoking and deficiency in some vitamins, such as C and the B's."

~~~
Increasing saturated fats, specifically coconut oil and butter, will increase your HDL. Coconut oil, rich in lauric acid, has strong antifungal and antimicrobial properties. Butter contains these beneficial fat soluble vitamins: vitamin A or retinol, vitamin D, vitamin K and vitamin E.
Great article all about fats by Dr Mary Enig: "The Skinny on Fats":
[http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html]

Your triglycerides are very good, but watch your 'white foods' (sugar, flour, bread, rice, potato). Pasta is probably the least likely to raise triglyceride levels.

In addition to fish oil and vitamin C, add:

Buffered Aspirin - 81 mg (contains beneficial magnesium)
CoQ10 - 100 to 150 mg (gelcaps - NOT powdered) with some Vit E
* Folic Acid - 400-800 mcg
* B6 - 80-100mg
* B12 - 200-250mcg
* (all 3 of these B Vitamins control Homocysteine)
Omega 3 (Fish Oil or Cod Liver Oil) - There is no upper limit

Dr Graveline's Statin Alternatives reduce and prevent inflammation, are anti-oxidants, reduce platelet stickiness, control (toxic) homocysteine and have the same anti-inflammatory affect as 20 mg's of Lipitor, without side effects.

"Statin Alternatives" are NOT intended to reduce cholesterol levels.
Statins (as do statin alternatives) reduce the type of inflammation that leads to heart attacks and strokes. The fact that statins also reduce cholesterol levels is 'irrelevant'.
Source: http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

If you are "aspirin sensitive", grape seed extract (GSE) is a good alternative (reduces platelet stickiness/prevents blood clots).

Tri-Cor is a fenofibrate and from my research, doesn't even provide any benefit by reducing inflammation.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby Esmeralda » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:25 pm

I have a copy of the lipid panel, and I don't see homocysteine level anywhere.

The thyroid is fine; I have that checked quarterly, too, since I take Levothyroxine.

Since June, 2006, I have been taking Fish Oil, Super B Vitamin Complex, Vitamin C, Cinnamon. I thought that the cholesterol numbers would go down, but they have been going up instead.

I guess I should just forget the numbers.
Esmeralda

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs