New here!

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

New here!

Postby Naturally » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:45 am

I'm new here - trying to find out all the information I can about Zetia. My doctor prescribed it to me yesterday because of my high LDL (189), cholesterol was 251. I've always had high cholesterol and LDL problems as long as I can remember. I'm also a hypothyroid patient (I have no thyroid). My doctor said when I raised my eyebrows, that Zetia wasn't a statin, didn't go thru the liver and basically no real side effects to be concerned about. THAT right there raised louder bells than anything. She also told me it was genetic - interesting because NO ONE in my family has ever had a high cholesterol problem.

I put the samples on the kitchen table and haven't filled the prescription.

I want to try something natural/alternative and have been looking for ideas. I've always been one to go a natural route - maybe from reading Dr Wallach's books and listening to his tapes. I was told Flax Seed Oil, Cinnamon and a pleathura of many other things!

Are there any recommendations!
Naturally

Postby Darrell » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:19 pm

The Zetia patient information sheet warns of possible muscle problems -- a little zinger they added after Zetia gave me a relapse into all of the problems I originally had with Zocor. I wish I had put my Zetia samples and prescription in the trash.

There are good indications that the plaque problem isn't the cholesterol -- it's the inflammation that allows plaque buildup to begin. Personally, I think my body knows how to properly regulate my cholesterol and I would be stupid to lower the setpoint for something that's needed everywhere from my leg muscles to my brain. Wish I had known that two or three years ago.
Darrell

Postby Naturally » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:54 am

That makes sense. I know my mom has always had a low cholesterol and it wasn't until her late 70's that she started having any cholesterol problems. I think they even have her on something and now she's got some mild dementia problems (she's 85). Wouldn't surprise me if it was because of the statins.

My samples are still sitting on the table and will go into the trash or I'll give them to someone that does take them. As for the scrip - that will go into the trash also. I've started taking Flax, Guggulipids and Cinnamon in hopes of lowering things. I have to have labs done in 3 months so I'll be curious to see how they are doing, but I've always had problems as long as I can remember and was told to chuck that up to having thyroid problems (I don't have one - never did).
Naturally

Postby adec » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:40 pm

Switch out all oils to only canola, and regular or extra virgin olive oil. And avoid ANYTHING made with any sort of hydrogenation, and increase your fruit and vegetable intake.

My mom has also great success with inositol hexanicotinate, or flush-free niacin. The inositol helps to eliminate the flush, and the build-up of homocysteine. Exactly 1000mg of cinnamon a day, as per recent studies. 4gm daily of psyllium and 1gm of flax. 2g of Vitamin C administered twice daily. All have helped to keep her cholesterol levels in check, enough to even impress her doctor.

Good luck.
adec

Postby shawk » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:45 pm

Naturally,

Try niacin but use Vitamin E with it...Niacin works better with Vitamin E, A and D
Stay off of niacin if you are taking prescription thyroid medication...or blood thinners....Niacin is last resort IMO....you need to see if you are alergic to it....

Load up on omega 3 marine lipids...not the omega 3/6 combo, just Omega 3 insure it is 100% marine lipids w/o any fillers....also eat heavy doeses of fish like mackeral, salmon, sardines, etc...

Also consider taking Betaine HCL...it helps break down foods and proteins better and aids in digestion..

about betaine HCL:
[http://www.oralchelation.com/ingred/betaine.htm]

look into another food suppliment called Chlorella and
Spectramin Chelate, (Krebs/Chelates)...both are very powerful; anti-oxidant liver cleansers....

Douglas Labs is one of the best suppliment producers, but you cannot buy direct from them as a patient...but there ae several resellers of their products...google douglas labs and serach...

Most of these suppliment si named will cleanse the blood vessels and the liver...the liver and bile duct cleanse is essential in lowering bad Chloestrol...

Change your eating habits to 50% FRESH fruits or vegetables....and 50% protein from beans, seeds, eggs and lean animal protien or fresh fish...

no more than 15 to 20 grams of saturated fats per day....absolutely ZERO trans fats....

the darker the beans the more protein, fiber and anti cancer agents they have...black beans are one of the best...all beans have no saturated fats....

get yourself off any refined carbs...crackers(even wheat ones), cookies, cakes, etc....limit your bread consumption and limit it to homeade wheat bread....

avoid the 3 whites....sugar, salt(sea salt is ok sparingly)and flour....these are killers and posions...avoid anything with corn syrup....

Get off caffiene and any form of sugared soda or juice....even cranberry juice....get off dairy milk and use almond milk for oatmeal and bran cereals...stay off butter and margrine, replace with earth balance(brand name) spread and cocount oil, olive oil, seasme oil(great as a condiment and seasoning, just not frying....I put it on my fish, etc

for 90 days you should begin drinking a quart of filitered and clean room tempature water per 50lbs of body weight....I drink easily a gallon of filtered and clean water every day...bottled water is ok, but buy a Brita water pitcher , etc....buy a 2 qt or 1 gallon container...never drink ICEd or cold water , cold liquids turn fat in your blood hard...this si why the Asian cultures always drink hot tea or room tempature beverages....

By drinking this much water you not only become hydrated again, but you also start to cleanse your liver and kidneys....which lowers Cholestrol....

Turkey will become your best friend....turkey bacon, turkey brats, and turkey burgers are yummy!

if you have a juicer buy some carrots and drink 8 oz of fresh carrot juice a day for 7 days straight then every 3 days for a month....your skin may turn an orange bronze tint but it is just the carrot juice...if you are diabetic stay off carrot juice...do not drink w/o a straw to avoid your mouth and teeth turning brown(it will come off, but why have to add a step)

Every morning for a week drink a warm glass of lemon water mixed with cayenne pepper

If you smoke stop immediately....

Stopping smoking will raise your HDL by up to 30% w/o doing anything else...

get active...this deos not mean yard work...it means actually getting at least 30 minutes of cardio exercise in a day....get on the tread mill , walk at a brisk pace, get on a stationary bike or eliptical machine for at least 30 minutes...

you should check with a DR before beginning any physical activity and know what your max HR is is...

checking your max HR is located here:
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate]

I will be posting a topic called "The cleanse " right after this one that will give you an idea of where to start...

Your Doc may or may not go into this detail with you...I learned from researching and also went to see a holistic naturalist Chiropractor that really helped me understand my blood tests(he did a 52 point blood test) and helped me make my LIFESTYLE change....

you cannot do something like this half way...you will either cahnge your lifestyle r do nothing...I never believed that until I started.....but it is true...

look for my other post...
shawk

Postby margit » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:19 pm

I have always been wary of all statistical finding not just in medicine.
In late 1980 I read a book “Will to be Well “it confirmed all my misgivings.

I decided then that preventative medicine eg blood pressure ,statins and
other medicines are not a risk I wish to take.
Each person is different and one has to take charge of ones body.

Margit
margit

Oils

Postby margit » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:29 pm

I have grave concern with Canola.
Olive Oil wonderful.
Please check Canola on alternitive sites. It is genetically engineered rapeseed. See
[http://www.karinya.com/canola.htm]

Margit[size=18][/size]
margit

Postby adec » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:43 am

"I have grave concern with Canola. Olive Oil wonderful. Please check Canola on alternitive sites. It is genetically engineered rapeseed. See [http://www.karinya.com/canola.htm"]

Hi Margit. Olive oil indeed is wonderful, especially extra virgin olive oil. But that information on canola has already been debunked, and only continues as urban legend. I'd be far more concerned about using ANYTHING containing even partial hydrogenation, or trans-fats.

The rape seed is part of the same family as mustard, cabbage, horseradish, turnip. And the genetic engineering is actually an agricultural cross-breading between plants to create less of the harmful erucic acid, and replace it with a more healthy oleic acid. All Canola is standardly and routinely tested for erucic acid, just as all olive oil is tested for acidity levels under 1%.

Canola, in fact, has the lowest saturated fats of ANY oil on the market. And it also competes with olive oil for monounsaturated fats, which both have been cited to raise good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol and triglycerides. And it has a much higher content of heart and brain healthy polyunsaturated Omega-3 and Omega-6 acids than olive oil.

I use Canola for all cooking, and use Extra Virgin Olive Oil where taste is most important... the best of both worlds. Both are part of a heart and brain healthy diet. Of course, the taste of a good olive oil has the added benefit of almost being like a fine wine. :)

Commonly sold supermarket oils:
=======================

------------------------Canola-----Olive----Corn-----Soybean-----Peanut
Saturated Fat______07______15____13______15_______19__
Monounsat. Fat_____61______75____29______23_______48__
Omega-3 Fat_______11______01____01______08_______00__
Omega-6 Fat_______21______09____57______54_______33__
adec

Postby margit » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:11 pm

Adec
Thank you .I still will keep away from Canola at my age 76.

Anything that might impact on eyes is a no no,even if it is only a slight
possibility.

Margit
margit

Excellent article all about 'Fats'

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:18 am

Dr Mary Enig - The Skinny on Fats
[http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html]

Virgin Coconut Oil is also very beneficial.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs