4 Years of Crawling for Nothing

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

4 Years of Crawling for Nothing

Postby Joss » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:00 pm

I had a bypass 4 years ago after 2 years of trying stents, lasers and drills to keep an LAD open.

They started me on statins (Zocor) when I first developed a clot. They also started me on several other drugs as time passed. One for hypertension. Another for DM. One to chemically prop arteries open. I've felt like hell for at least three years. Legs aching. Mind fuzzy. General lethargy. I'd bitch about it but no one really listened until I REALLY bitched about it a month ago when someone commented that I walked like I was 73 instead of 53.

My GP told me it was just the statins and to relax. Relax? Really? Statins are causing this?

I griped at my cardiologist a little more than a week ago and he stopped the statins (Vytorin at this point) immediately with instructions to take Coenzyme Q10 after a week and call him in 2 weeks.

Within 4 days I was healing. My mental acuity was back (though I had not realized how far away it had traveled) and my legs felt as though they were springs.

I don't know where I will go next, but it will not be back to statins. I wasted four good years.
Joss

Postby Darrell » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:09 pm

Count your blessings that you are recovering after four years. Think how many out there are at four years or more and don't have a clue what is disabling them.
Darrell

Postby Dee » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:25 am

Very true, Darrell, also those of us that "know" what screwed us up, stopped the statin, and have had little or no recovery. I went on a statin in Aug. 2001, developed major problems in Oct. 2001, dumped the statin in April 2004 after finally finding a doctor on the ball. Can only walk 20-30 feet with a cane and great difficulty due to nerve and muscle damage.

Total of wasted life to date : 5 years with no end in sight. I am 48.
Dee

Postby Darrell » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:19 am

Indeed.
Darrell

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs