High Liver enzymes & Statin drugs

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

High Liver enzymes & Statin drugs

Postby shawk » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:18 am

I know that statins do interfere with liver functions after long term use. I recently discovered my Liver Enzymes are all triple digits and I have liver inflammation.

I took the advicor 200/50 for 5 days, but I also took Wellbutrin XL 300MG for 12 days does anyone know if this would cause such a large spike in my liver enzymes?

My Chiro has me on supplements and a very strict diet and I did a liver cleanse for 7 days beofe starting the new diet. He is hopeful the enzymes will come back down to normal and inflammation will stop after doing the liver cleanse, suppliments and new diet.

Does anyone know how long it will take for my liver to possibly return to normal? that is if I was not having liver issues before they out me on the WB and statins<sigh>

This terrifies me, because the stupid MD never took a blood test before putting me on all these meds....I stopped drinking 10 years ago, and before the statin and wellbutrinXL episode I was always told my liver was functioning very well...

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Scott
shawk

Postby shawk » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:45 pm

It turns out all 3 meds my Quack put me on give abnormal liver test results and cause liver enzymes to sky rocket...

Note to others...Statins do this, so does Xanax and Wellbutrin, including zyban.
shawk

Postby CatMom » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:39 pm

Xanax and Wellbutrin, and Zyban cane cause liver problems too? As much as I have heard about those drugs, I never heard the mentioned or even hinted at..
CatMom

Postby shawk » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:44 am

Hi catmom,

Take a look at the below links from WEBMD. My chiropractor also said many of the new drugs not only cause liver issues, but also kidney problems.

Depsite the pharamacons catergorizing side effects as Common, Infrequent and rare it is all suspect.

When you read the actual details on the pharamacons web-sites you get the nitty gritty. I would strongly suggest if your Dr. is going to put you on anything you get a blood test to verify what your liver enzymes are doing.

If he/she will not do a blood test, get one on your own.

ww.webmd.com/drugs/drug-13509-Wellbutrin.aspx?drugid=13509&drugname=Wellbutrin&pagenumber=6

ww.webmd.com/drugs/drug-9824-Xanax.aspx?drugid=9824&drugname=Xanax&pagenumber=6
shawk

Postby CatMom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:50 pm

Those side effects sound like the ones for Satatins.... you couldn't win for loosing nowdays, could you?

I am not on any of those and don't plan to be but I know people are are.

It really sounds like just about ALL Rx drugs do more harm that good these days.
CatMom

Postby shawk » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:14 pm

catmom,

Not only harmful but profitable to boot.
shawk

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs