Avoiding Vytorin

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Avoiding Vytorin

Postby johnston » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:53 am

I have a carotid cavernous fistula which, after three horrible terrible angiograms, has not thrombosed. I have been working with an acupuncturist to keep my diet as free as possible of non-thrombosing influences while trying a regimen of carotid compression therapy to see if it will shut down and enabling me to avoid another angiogram. During this process she said to stay away from statins at all costs. Of course, my MD thinks she is a witch doctor who should be banished to Salem. I was taking Red Yeast Rice @ two 600 mg per day, omega 3 and CoQ10. I noticed I was having trouble thinking and problem solving and blamed it on the angiograms. Duh! I stopped one of the Red Yeast pills and seem to be headed back to normal. My doc wants me on Vytorin. I am hoping I can pacify him by opting for Pravachol (sp?) (What should I care if I pacify him?), 5 mg. Should I keep up the 600 mg of Red Yeast Rice if I along with the Pravachol if I can tolerate it?
johnston

Postby Darrell » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:02 pm

"I was having trouble thinking and problem solving"
Statins do this -- even red yeast rice statins.

"I am hoping I can pacify him"
You may still be having trouble thinking and problem solving: why do you need to pacify him? Is it worth sacrificing your brain's health to pacify him?
Darrell

Postby johnston » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:50 am

Why do we women pacify our docs? Authority figures elevated to gol-like status by those good sisters who looked after my edcutation for many yers.
johnston

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs