Statin Effectiveness - not worth the risk?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statin Effectiveness - not worth the risk?

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:22 pm

I just found this site trying to find out the effectiveness of statins in general. My doctor wants me to go on a statin (Lipitor) and after reading this website I have a lot of questions. My main issue after reading alot of these horror stories on here is it worth all the headache (literally) to get on a statin. Will it really save/extend my life? I been looking for information all over the net like webmd, and other statin specific sites like statin.doctorevidence.com . The evidence reports at statin.doctorevidence.com show that the clinical studies on statins only slightly reduce the chance of heart attacks etc. So after reading through the spacedoc website and forums, I dont think the benefit (very slight to no reduction in heart attack/death risk vs all the side affects listed on this site) is worth the risk. So should I go agaisnt my doctors advice? I havent taken medication like this before and I am amazed how many people pop this drug like candy.. from what i am reading this cant be right.
Chris

Statin Problems May Sneak Up On You

Postby bucho » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:54 pm

Statin damage can be insidious. I took Zocor for over 3 years with no apparent problems. Then suddenly an explosion of problems with no obvious explanation. All medical tests (even MRI) came out fine. Recovery can be slow and incomplete. I'm now 4 months off Zocor and much improved but not completely healed. Problems were numerous and some were "freaky." It took a long time to find the culprit: Zocor. I hate to imagine how I'd be doing by now if I hadn't found this site. Read my recent horror story (Aug 20 post by "bucho") under the topic "Zocor" for an example of the numerous things that went wrong for me.

I quit the Zocor and my doctor is now out-of-the-loop as far as I'm concerned.
bucho

Postby Darrell » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:27 pm

Chris, I took Zocor and later Zetia. In theory, they lowered my heart attack risk from something like 3% per year to something like 2% per year while I took them. (Your doctor may call that a 33% reduction in heart attack risk.) So far they have cost me almost a year and a half of serious leg muscle problems for sure and possibly other problems long term -- even possibly heart problems. I couldn't work for a long time. I now have to take Q10 daily as well as L-Carnitine several times daily for the muscle problems. I expect to be taking both of those for the rest of my life because there is no cure in sight. I regret the day I took my doctor's advice to take Zocor and later Zetia for my borderline cholesterol.
Darrell

Reply for "Chris"

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:37 am

Hi Chris and Welcome to the Forum,

I suspect since you doctor is suggesting that you take Lipitor, that you have
high triglycerides? If you don't mind my asking, "What are your cholesterol
levels?"

TC -
LDL -
HDL -
Triglycerides -

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby shawk » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:50 am

(Disclaimer, I am not a Doctor or work in the medical profession)
Hi Chris,

I was only on Advicor 500/20 for 5 days and developed very severe adverse side effects, in addition to what we now think was an allergic reaction to the statin itself. My reaction and issues may have been rare. I do know that I will never let a statin enter my body again.

Depending on what your TC count is and especially your LDL, I would give very serious consideration before taking any form of statin.

In my case I have found out my LDL was not that high to begin with and I could have significantly lowered the LDL and rasied the HDL through modification of my diet and getting active again.

After becoming educated and continuing that education I am finding the high cholesterol debate is ,in my opinion, nothing but a huge scare tactic. Statin drugs are the signle largest revenue stream coming into the pharamacons! They have slick seductive ads and have our medical community twisted on the real facts. I asked my Dr. (before I left him recently)to provide me a cholesterol level chart. He pulled one out and it was provided to his practice by a consortium of pharmacons(pill producers) and the levels were based on the pharamacons "independent research" and because "they are an important partner of the medical community to help defeat HIGH cholesterol!"

I say rubbish!

In edcuating myself about statins and high cholesterol I have discovered that the medical community cannot exactly determine what Levels are good or bad, much of cholesterol is genetic...

My wifes family has had high cholesterol for generations like around 450, however they have never had a death to cardiac disease and not one person has ever had blocked arteries, etc...or anything that the pharamacons say they should have....they all watch what they eat, stay very active and my wifes grandfather lived until his mid-90's....

Proper diet, supplements and exercise has been proven to lower cholesterol to a manageable level. You have to determine what is right for you, but you must be willing to make the lifestyle change no matter what you decide...

If you smoke...stop

If you are not active...get active again

If your diet is high in sat, unsat and trans fats...reduce it all, trans fats are the killers in this country IMO, period!!!

I certainly do not know your condition nor am I a doctor so I cannot tell you what to do, but I would suggest very highly that think very serious before putting any kind of statin in your body....

I have been off them for only 9 days and I am still trying to get side efects and the statin itself out of my body....

I fired my DR. because he wanted to try what they call a "rechallenge" of advicor at a lower a dose...He refused to believe me about the side effects and did not think that my change in diet and activity levels would decrease the LDL cholesterol "fast enough".....Fast enough!?!? what are you talking about Doc...fast enough!?!?...

This all despite the fact I changed my diet and begin a low impact work out routine. I had my blood re-tested and not only has my overall cholesterol number dropped but it proved that my cholesterol levels may not have warranted the use of a statin in the first place!

Good Luck with this!
shawk

Postby CatMom » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:21 pm

If I knew 6 years ago what I know now, I would have NEVER taken the first pill and laughed at the doctors who tried to get me to take it. I am one of the lucky ones who's problems and damage seems to have cleared up right away once I stopped taking the stuff and ONLY when I got off of it, did I realize how MUCH of my life the stuff had stolen. It is so sneaky and sly that it takes such a small amount of you at time that you don't miss it....... You know something isn't right but you just don't know what is wrong so you assume it is just that you are getting old...

It is your life and your body. You do what you think is best for you but do it as informed as you can be.

(You can read my experience in the Lipitor section with the updates added)
CatMom

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:10 pm

Wow this forum has great response and advice. Bucho, your response is exactly what im concerned about. Darrell, Thats exactly what Iv read on the statin evidence website, most studies show a 2-3% difference between the drug and no drug... thats to small for me. Fran, Total Chol 274, LDL 170, HDL 73, Trig 154. shawk, great post agree 100%. Catmom, your response the stuff im looking for.. real people experience, i am sorry about your suffering, but you are helping others by sharing your experience. Thanks for all the wonderful feedback!!! this forum is amazing.
Chris

Reply for "Chris"

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:12 pm

TC - 274
LDL - 170 (oxidized LDL is the problem, not just elevated LDL)
HDL - 73 (Outstanding!)
Triglycerides - 154 (Not bad)

You can reduce triglycerides by cutting back on carbs, especially the
"white foods" - sugar (biggest offender), flour, potato, bread, rice.
Pasta is the least likely to cause triglycerides to soar.
Replace the white foods with (not a complete list):
* Stevia (completely natural) sweetener
- (I prefer the liquid - found in healthy food stores)
* Brown/wild rice
* Sprouted grain bread or bread made with spelt flour
* Barley
* Sweet potatoes
* Whole grain pastas
* Steel cut oatmeal
* Buckwheat
* Millet

Cinnamon (C. cassia - spice isle variety) helps to control triglycerides
and blood sugar levels. Available in 500 mg capsules (Walmart, etc) -
take one to three capsules daily.

"Shawk" had some great advice.
I'm not a doctor or medical professional either, but recommend the
following:
Dr Graveline's "Statin Alternatives"...
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

Also read: The Great Cholesterol Scam
http://www.spacedoc.net/cholesterol_scam.html

And to answer your question:
"Will it (Lipitor/statins) really save/extend my life?"
NO - there is no evidence that statins prolong longevity.
In some cases statins shorten life due to complications of rhabdomyolysis.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs