what tests to ask for

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

what tests to ask for

Postby gardeneyes » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:02 pm

My husband is going for more tests next week. One is a visual acuity relating to MS another is a EMG. Then they are going to do a spinal tap to look for a virus. Other than the EMG, I don't think they will find anything with the other 2 tests. What other tests should we be asking for? I don't know if they will do a muscle biopsy but I'm going to try and get them to do one.
Marilea
gardeneyes

Tests needed

Postby bunnylady » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:22 pm

I emailed Fran and she replied and these are two tests she told me to have ordered- I am going next week to do so

Has your doctor ordered a CK or CPK test? It's not a fool proof test, but if the levels are elevated, that is one test that indicates statins are adversely affecting your muscles. If CK/CPK is elevated, your doctor should NOT re-challenge you with any statin drugs. Even those that took statins (experienced adverse effects) and then were switched to non-statins (gemfibrozil, etc), have experienced similar side effects. Some also need a muscle biopsy to confirm statin muscle damage.
bunnylady

more from Fran

Postby bunnylady » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:20 pm

You asked the same question I was going to ask to I am researching for myself as well as you:

Here is another post from Fran back in April

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:27 pm Post subject: Reply for "suffering"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Suffering and Welcome to the forum,

You doctor most likely did a liver function test. Right ?

Doc also needs to do a CPK (Creatine Phosphokinase) test. When a muscle is damaged, CPK leaks into the bloodstream.

CPK is not foolproof. It can come back negative, but there is still muscle damage. The doctor would then need to do a muscle biopsy.

Dr Paul Phillips of Scripps Mercy Hosp in SanDiego, has a website and has done extensive research on statin side effects:
ww.impostertrial.com/contact.htm

Dr Phillips outlines the tests necessary to determine statin muscle damage. Most comprehensive is under "Information for Physicians".

If you have not been supplementing with CoQ10 while taking Lipitor the past 6 1/2 yrs, your side effects are due to CoQ10 depletion. Start taking 100 to 200 mg daily. CoQ10 can lower BP so if you have low BP or are taking BP meds, monitor your BP while increasing CoQ10 dose.

Please read these articles by Dr Graveline...
Muscle Pain and Statins:
http://www.spacedoc.net/muscle_pain_statins.htm
Statins and CoQ10 Deficiency:
http://www.spacedoc.net/statins_CoQ10.htm
Statin Alternatives:
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

Statin Alternatives:
These items reduce and prevent inflammation and
have the same anti-inflammatory affect as 20 mg's of Lipitor
(atorvastatin), without side effects.
(i.e. anti-oxidant, reduce platelet stickiness, controls homocysteine)
* buffered aspirin - 81 mg
* CoQ10 (Coenzyme Q10) - 100 to 150 mg (those with cognitive issues
may need to take doses as high as 1,200 to 1,500 mg daily)
* folic acid - 400 to 800 mcg
* B6 - 80 to 100mg
* B12 - 200 to 250mcg
* Omega 3 (fish oil or cod liver oil) [ There is no upper limit]
Cod liver oil has the added benefit of vitamins A & D.

Note: "Statin Alternatives" are not designed to "lower cholesterol", because "cholesterol is not the problem".

The problem is not cholesterol, it's "inflammation". Factors like homocysteine, Lp(a) - Lipoprotein (a) and hs-CRP (high sensitivity C-reactive Protein) are much better at predicting the risk of heart disease and stroke.

Inflammation risk factors:
* Homocysteine - optimal levels - 6.2 µmol or less
* hs-CRP High Sensitivity (C-Reactive Protein)
0 - 0.9 - Low Risk
1.0 - 3.0 - Moderate Risk
3.1 - 10.0 - High Risk (twice the risk as 'low risk')
* Lp(a) - Lipoprotein (a) - 25 mg/dL or less

The one benefit of statins is that they are a potent anti-inflammatory. The fact that statins also lower cholesterol is irrelevant.

Fran

bunnylady

tests

Postby gardeneyes » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:49 pm

They did do the ck and it was fine. They also did a liver function but it didn't show anything either. So, of course, they said it couldn't be any problem with the statins but I have read many articles that state that those test aren't foolproof. If our doctor refuses to do the muscle biopsy, we will either find another one who will or make a trip to San Diego to see Dr. Phillips. We have friends down there we can stay with.

Marilea
gardeneyes

Postby harley2ride » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:10 am

Hey BunnyLady.
Where did you hear about Dr. Phillips (I'm a patient of his). Also, did you see that he just sent a letter out to all of his former and current patients about his clinical trial results, and he stated his displeasure that the drug companies didn't respond to his questions or give any requested assistance. When I get time, I'll have to scan it and post it for all to see.

He does make a direct correlation between muscle problems and statin drugs, and names them all by name...
harley2ride

Postby bunnylady » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:52 pm

Boy I am from Temecula Calif- wish I was still there as its not far from San Diego - am in Austin Texas now- can't wait to see that report

tell me this- if you are able to prove its the statins is there any treatment besides the vitamins?

Bunnylady
bunnylady

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs