My drs. still refuse to recognize the truth about statins

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

My drs. still refuse to recognize the truth about statins

Postby shadoww » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:51 pm

I had my endocrinolgist appt today and my rheumatologist appt today. The endo dr.'s assistant especially still refuses to admit that statins are whats causing my muscle and joint pain. She flat out said that since I'm no longer taking them, there should be no pain, unless I had that serious muscle affliction, rhab???? Sorry don't remember the name. She's very stubborn and really ticked me off today a few times. She also told me that I'd gained weight not because I stopped smoking, but that it was because I overeat and eat the wrong things. I told her everything I'd ever seen and heard from experts on the stop smoking issue said that when you stop, your metabolism slows down......well not according to her. I think I'm gonna be looking for a new endocrinolgist very soon.

Why won't they come out and admit that the statins cause problems for people, when the very advertisements give that disclaimer????? I'm really aggravated about this whole thing.

Final upshot from the rheumatologist is some arthritis in my feet but that shouldn't cause my muscle aches and pains. Now they want me to see a neurolgist for muscle tests..... Arghhhh!!!! I'm beginning to think I just dreamed this whole thing up and I don't have any pains at all and what I really need is a good shrink!!
shadoww

Reply for Shadow

Postby sos_group_owner » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:11 pm

Hi Shadow,

That what "they" do. Deny and Refer. Deny that statins are the cause and refer you to all their doctor friends in other specialties. That's exactly what our PCP did (Deny) then referred us to his friend the Neurologist (just as snippy and arrogant). The Neurologist referred us to his friend the Neuro-Psychologist who misdiagnosed my husband with Alzheimer's. All 3 flatly denied statins were the cause and all 3 are "fired".

You might want to print this article and take a copy to your doctors:

Presymptomatic Neuromuscular Disorders Disclosed Following Statin Treatment. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166:1519-1524.

Georgios Tsivgoulis, MD; Konstantinos Spengos, MD; Nikolaos Karandreas, MD; Marios Panas, MD; Athina Kladi, MS; Panagiota Manta, MD

It is well recognized that statins affect muscular tissue adversely and that their use is associated with clinically important myositis, rhabdomyolysis, mild elevation of serum creatine kinase (CK) levels, myalgias, muscle weakness, muscle cramps, and persistent myalgias or serum CK level elevations after statin treatment is discontinued. The association between statins and the disclosure of presymptomatic metabolic myopathy is another underrated phenomenon related to statin therapy that was recently recognized in rare cases.

The purpose of this report is to provide additional support for this association and to report other neuromuscular disorders that have also been seen following statin intake. The present case series illustrates that statins may act as unmasking agents in asymptomatic patients with a latent neuromuscular disorder.

Thus, it may be postulated that statin intake may be a sufficient insult to precipitate neuromuscular symptoms and substantially increase muscle enzymes in presymptomatic patients with an abnormal neuromuscular substrate.

In conclusion, muscular symptoms or increased serum CK levels persisting after statin treatment discontinuation should alert the clinician to pursue further diagnostic evaluations for the detection of potential underlying neuromuscular diseases.

Author Affiliations: Department of Neurology, University of Athens Medical School, Eginition Hospital, Athens, Greece.

Abstract Source:
[url]http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/166/14/1519?etoc[/url]

You can obtain the entire document by clicking on "PDF" in the right column "Article Options".

Fran
sos_group_owner

Save your money

Postby bunnylady » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:24 pm

Let's say you get a doctor to recognize its the statins- how do they then treat you- more medicine? bed rest? I'm not going to any doctors for this- its just a waste of money! Save your money shadow-

I gained 14 pounds so its not just you- could be cause I can't move myself farther than 10' ! LOL!
bunnylady

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs