Visit to Rheumatologist today--Fosamax causes joint pain too

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Visit to Rheumatologist today--Fosamax causes joint pain too

Postby shadoww » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:14 pm

Today I saw a rheumatologist to see if he had any answers to my joint/muscle/body pain. So far I've not had any answers and I'm still hurting. More blood drawn, gave me a prescription for Celebrex and wants a bone/joint scan to check for inflammatory arthritis. When we went thru the list of my medications, I told him I used to take the statins and also Fosamax and stopped taking anything that could cause joint/muscle/body pain. The ones I stopped taking also included Fosamax. He confirmed for me that Fosamax does cause joint and muscle pain. I told him I had heard that and thats why I stopped taking it. But he stopped short of telling me that the statins could also cause it. He asked me if my pain stopped when I stopped taking the statins and I told him no. He asked how long it had been and I told him a couple months. He said that Fosamax could cause it but didnt go so far as to tell me that the statins could also cause it. What is it with all these dr.'s and the way they protect these medicines? I know getting aggravated with them doesn't solve anything but aren't WE as patients supposed to come first????
shadoww

Postby CatMom » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:25 am

I thought they had pulled Celebrex off the market.. I hope you check out the side effects before you take it. My doctor gave me a Rx for it about 5 years ago and I was scared to take the stuff so I never got it filled.

I just think they are far to quick to write these Rx's and are keeping their heads in the sand about the side effects of all these new miracle drugs, just look at the all the ones they have pulled off the market so far.

Yes, "we the patients" should come first but lets face it, it is all about the $$$$$.
CatMom

Postby Darrell » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:18 am

Vioxx was pulled. Celebrex is still available.
Darrell

Postby shadoww » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:23 am

[quote="CatMom"]I thought they had pulled Celebrex off the market.. I hope you check out the side effects before you take it. My doctor gave me a Rx for it about 5 years ago and I was scared to take the stuff so I never got it filled.

I just think they are far to quick to write these Rx's and are keeping their heads in the sand about the side effects of all these new miracle drugs, just look at the all the ones they have pulled off the market so far.

Yes, "we the patients" should come first but lets face it, it is all about the $$$$$.[/quote]

Hi Catmom, I'm also a "catmom" LOL. Got 4 of them, if thats what your nic stands for.

Yes I was instantly on the alert when he said Celebrex. I asked him if there wasn't something going on with that and he said no, that was Vioxx and Celebrex was still going strong. I do have a friend who was a RN and she says it can cause hemmorage, so to just be very careful with it. At this point, I'm so miserable and so much pain most of the time, I'm about ready to settle for some voodoo or something if it will only help.
shadoww

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs