How long does it take for effects to leave or do they?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

How long does it take for effects to leave or do they?

Postby AlmostOrphan » Tue May 30, 2006 9:09 pm

Several years ago my mother, who is in her late 70s, took Zocar for over a year. She began having muscle pain and weakness and depression. She has had to use two canes to get around and she often has to spend a lot of time in bed. She thought it was just the natural aging process. Then somehow she discovered it was the Zocar. She has now been off Zocar for more than three years but there has been no improvement. I would have thought the effects would have worn off by now. She won't go to a doctor because she thinks a doctor will do something to further damage her. Why isn't she getting any better? After three years of being off the drug--why does she still have these effects?
AlmostOrphan

How long does it take for rffects to wear off

Postby Ray Holder » Wed May 31, 2006 1:11 am

Sorry to say that , as in my case, the effects don't wear off, because the statin has probably killed off the carnitine manufacturing mechanism. If this is so, supplementary carnitine is the only answer. (See Muscle pains and Statins) If it is going to work, the result will be very quick, so you don't have to wonder of it's ever going to happen.
I got even worse after ceasing statin for the next 14 months until I found Q10 and Carnitine.
Ray Holder

Postby Dee » Wed May 31, 2006 8:53 pm

Ray, I am interested to know your doseage and how much carnitine you take. I have been in a bad way since 2001 after 2 months on Pravachol. Not knowing what was causing my problems, I was kept on Pravachol for 2 years and 8 months, and have been off it for 2 years with no improvement. Like Almost Orphan's mother, I have to use a cane to get around, and I am 48. Thanks!
Dee

Carnitine dosage

Postby Ray Holder » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:40 am

Dee, I am taking about 6 grams a day now, but it is best to start at a lower figure and build up to what your bowels will let you take.
It is best to take it first thing in the morning, one website said at least 21/2 hours after food and 45mins before food. I was told to start with 500mg a day and work up every 2 or 3 days until your bowels become loose, and go back one step, but Darrell started with 500mg 4 times a day and seems to have got away with it. However I suggest that it is difficult to find regular times with the right spacing between meals and some may not be being absorbed. I take mine first thing when I get up, but am finding I need some more in the middle of the afternoon if I have been doing more than usual, which, at 85 and now rather disabled, is not very much!! As it's use in the body depends on how much energy your muscles demand, you may need more if they do more work.
Ray Holder

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs