Creatinine Clearance - Low Kidney Function Zocor - Zetia????

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Creatinine Clearance - Low Kidney Function Zocor - Zetia????

Postby garlicprincess » Sat May 27, 2006 3:20 pm

Has anyone had a Creatinine Clearance test with low results, indicating low kidney function while on statins or after stopping statins? Zocor & Zetia stopped 2 weeks ago.

PCP emailed me and advised me to contact the physician that ordered this test for an explanation.......it's making me crazy with concerns!

Thanks!

Sarah :roll:
garlicprincess

Reply for Sarah

Postby sos_group_owner » Mon May 29, 2006 6:39 pm

Hi Sarah,

The "Creatinine Clearance" info below is from "Lab Test Online".
Source: ww.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/creatinine_clearance/test.html

Fran
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Creatinine Clearance
Formal name: Creatinine Clearance
Related tests: Creatinine, GFR and EGFR

How is it used?
A creatinine clearance test is used to help evaluate the rate and efficiency of kidney filtration. It is used to help detect kidney dysfunction and/or the presence of decreased blood flow to the kidneys. In patients with chronic kidney disease or congestive heart failure (which decreases the rate of blood flow), the creatinine clearance test may be ordered to help monitor the progress of the disease and evaluate its severity.

When is it ordered?
The creatinine clearance test may be ordered whenever a doctor wants to evaluate the filtration ability of the kidneys. It may be ordered when a patient has increased blood creatinine concentrations, a known or suspected kidney disorder, or decreased blood flow to the kidneys due to a condition such as congestive heart failure.

What does the test result mean?
NOTE: A standard reference range is not available for this test. Because reference values are dependent on many factors, including patient age, gender, sample population, and test method, numeric test results have different meanings in different labs. Your lab report should include the specific reference range for your test. Lab Tests Online strongly recommends that you discuss your test results with your doctor. For more information on reference ranges, please read "Reference Ranges and What They Mean".
ww.labtestsonline.org/understanding/features/ref_ranges.html

Any disease or condition that affects the glomeruli can decrease the kidneys’ ability to clear creatinine and other wastes out of the blood. When this occurs, the blood creatinine level will be increased and the creatinine clearance will be decreased because not as much creatinine is able to be excreted in the urine. A decreased creatinine clearance rate may also occur when there is decreased blood flow to the kidneys as may occur with congestive heart failure, obstruction within the kidney, or acute or chronic kidney failure. The less effective the kidney filtration, the greater the decrease in clearance.

Increased creatinine clearance rates may occasionally be seen during pregnancy, exercise, and with diets high in meat.

Patients with one dysfunctional and one normal kidney will usually have normal creatinine clearance rates as the functional kidney will increase its rate of filtration in compensation.

Is there anything else I should know?
Creatinine clearance rates tend to fall later in life as the glomerular filtration rate (GFR – the rate at which the glomeruli filter the blood) declines.

Certain drugs, such as aminoglycosides, cimetidine, cisplatin, and cephalosporins, can decrease the creatinine clearance measurement. Diuretics can increase the result.
sos_group_owner

Creatinine Clearance

Postby garlicprincess » Mon May 29, 2006 9:13 pm

Hi Fran,

Thanks for the link/info on the creatinine clearance test. Had been searching and reading trying to make heads or tails out of it, but it's just one small part of the puzzle I am afraid.

It seems sometimes like so many things are cropping up at once and it can be overwhelming! You try not to read too much into it but at the same time you worry because the test is abnormal. And of course, the first thing that pops into my mind is wondering if it is zocor/zetia related. We'll see!

Appreciate your help!

Sarah :wink:
garlicprincess

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs