Today's blood work

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Today's blood work

Postby DW » Tue May 02, 2006 2:05 pm

Blood Work 05/02/2006

Total Cholesterol: 160
Total Cholesterol/HDL: 6.2
Trigs: 232
HDL: 26
LDL: 88
Blood Glucose: 103
BP: 137/80
Pulse: 66

Does a male, age 65, with the above numbers, need to take medication? Thank you for your response(s)!
DW

Blood work

Postby davidsa » Wed May 03, 2006 9:11 am

Your cholesterol is too low, and your blood sugar is too high. In my opinion, meds won't help. Eat more fat and less carbs!

I would prescribe carbohydrate restriction. If you can get calories from carbs down to around 10 per cent of total calories,your blood sugar will drop into the 90s, your trigs will drop a hundred points, and your HDL will go into the 40s. Your LDL may go up, too, but like I said, your cholesterol is too low. For men in their 60's, cholesterol and heart disease no longer correlate! In fact, longevity correlates with higher cholesterol.

I would consider a statin independent of the above dietary advice, and only if you already have heart disease, and NOT to achieve any particular level of cholesterol--

Good Luck[list][/list]
davidsa

Carbs?

Postby DW » Thu May 04, 2006 5:23 pm

How about a few of my staples--watermelon, grapes, pretzels (no salt), popcorn (no butter)? How do such foods stack up on the carb list? Thanks very much for your earlier response and this response, both of which are very much appreciated.
DW

Postby davidsa » Thu May 04, 2006 9:08 pm

Pretzels and grapes are very high carb. Watermelon is almost all water, and so moderate amounts are not too bad. Popocorn in small amounts is also not too bad, but have it WITH lots of real butter!

See if you can switch from pretzels to nuts, and strawberries instead of grapes.

Make the main part of every meal protein: meat, eggs, poultry, fish. Have plenty of "green vegetables": brocolli, cauliflower, green beans, and salads with olive oil dressing. Skip the potatoes, bread, and pasta.

Have eggs and canteloupe for breakfast, and skip the toast. Pour real cream on the canteloupe.

I suggest you have a look at 2 books:

1. "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution" In my opinion this is still the best book to tell you what it is like to eat a diet restricted in carbs, so you'll know what to expect.

2. "Life Without Bread" by Allan and Lutz. This is not really a diet book, but gives lots of data and clinical evidence that restricting carbs pays off for health. Benefits covered include heart disease, digestive ailments, the immune system, and diabetes, which your blood sugar level shows you are headed for. Lutz is an Austrian medical practitioner, who has been on a low carb diet for 40 or so years. I think he is now in his 90's, and he published this book in 2000.

You might guess (correctly) that I am recommending to you books that have helped me, and the diet I maintain.

Let me know what happens, and good luck!
davidsa

Thanks very much!

Postby DW » Fri May 05, 2006 8:34 am

Again, thank you for your reply which is very much appreciated!
DW

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs